Redhill Marina on TV at lunchtime

PeteS

Featured Posts

Looks as though there is an piece on East Mids Today at lunch time concerning HS2 and Redhill Marine.

The highlight said that the owner was complaining that he would be driven out of business because of it.

Looking at the HS2 route map it would seem that the line will roughly take the following route adjacent to the marina so it's proposed passing is pretty close for sure.

RedhillHS2_zpsb0128a2b.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Great Haywood Marina was also on Countryfile - apparently its going straight through there!

Interestingly Great Haywood Marina doesn't even feature on the HS2 route maps! - hence I've marked it in in red.

GreatHaywood_zps181f4063.jpg

GreatHaywood_2_zps7ce589b0.jpg

A real shame because I guess the reason it didn't feature is because it's relatively new.

Looking at the HS2 route map it would seem that the line will roughly take the following route adjacent to the marina so it's proposed passing is pretty close for sure.

RedhillHS2_zpsb0128a2b.jpg

that is only half the marina, the marina stretches as far as ratcliffe lock.

that is only half the marina, the marina stretches as far as ratcliffe lock.

Quite possibly - I just matched the image to what the marina put on their own web site...

Redhill-Map1.png

Edited by The Dog House

Interestingly Great Haywood Marina doesn't even feature on the HS2 route maps! - hence I've marked it in in red.

GreatHaywood_zps181f4063.jpg

GreatHaywood_2_zps7ce589b0.jpg

A real shame because I guess the reason it didn't feature is because it's relatively new.

I assume that to get over the various roads, the existing mainline railway, the canal and adjacent watercourses, all at pretty much 90 degrees to the new line, that it will be on an embankment.

What an eyesore that will be!

I assume that to get over the various roads, the existing mainline railway, the canal and adjacent watercourses, all at pretty much 90 degrees to the new line, that it will be on an embankment.

What an eyesore that will be!

Correct - if you look at the map above the aerial photo it shows the raised sections with the requisite embankments - one of which encroaches right into where the marina is.

There is quite a bit of HS2 which will be built like this in order to avoid existing structures such as roads and other railways, and yes it will be quite visually intrusive in parts, notably as I've referred to before where it approaches Leeds through Woodlesford.

Thankfully some of it will also be in either deep bore or cut 'n' cover tunnels.

Edited by The Dog House

Extended coverage was on last night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01r282t/East_Midlands_Today_05_03_2013/

Starts at about 12:10 minutes. According to the article the HS2 will be on a viaduct across the marina, Also he's spent more than £200,0000 on plans to redevelop the marina.

More than 2 million on plans?????

He'd have been better off spending it on the actual marina...much of it really needs that kind of money throwing at it!