Sailaway Builder

Bert

Featured Posts

You have probably seen this before but it is still good advice-

Value

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little.

When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything,

because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

The common law of business prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.

And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin, 1819-1900 Author, Philospher

Sorry about inflicting that on you but it does make a lot of sence! :lol:

You have probably seen this before but it is still good advice-

Value

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little.

When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything,

because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

The common law of business prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.

And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin, 1819-1900 Author, Philospher

Makes sense, but at the moment I have enough in the pot to purchase a shell at a price that would leave me money for the fitting out materials. Which means that I do not have spare cash to pay for Lables, even though it may add a little to the value when the time comes to sell. I could wait and save a little more cash, but I think I prefer to buy now even if it is at the lower budget priced craft, and enjoy it all now while I still can.

It looks to me that if a builder is selling around 300 boats per year he must have got the build quality/price balance just about right.

Cheers

Bert

Hi Bert,

Just thought I'd add my observations. It sounds like you are pretty well set on the LB route. Iwent down the same route 2 years ago and bought a New Boat Co Boston Sailaway additions. which is a LB built boat basically. It certainly saved us a lot of money, virtually enough for the complete DIY fitout. The hull build we are very pleased with and the shape of the bow particularly draws favourable comments from passing boaters.

As Chris said earlier, some of the partial fitout was sloppy in several areas, but nothing that wasn't straight forward to correct. The paint finish was excellent but very thin and has deteriorated quickly in a number of places, but I am mindful that it is a boat and the highest quality finishes are going to get scuffed and sraped pretty quickly, so we expect regular maintenance to the paintwork no matter what. Apart from the heating system, which is thoroughly documented elsewhere on this forum, we have been delighted with our home and expect to be living on it for many years to come.

Regarding resale value, the very fact that you will be fitting it out yourself will probably give it a lower resale value than a professional fitout, but I can't see that matters as, like us, you can't afford a fully fitted new boat and a sailaway will increase in value on completion, rather than a likely decrease on a fully fitted purchase.

Good luck

Roger

Hi Bert,

Just thought I'd add my observations. It sounds like you are pretty well set on the LB route. Iwent down the same route 2 years ago and bought a New Boat Co Boston Sailaway additions. which is a LB built boat basically. It certainly saved us a lot of money, virtually enough for the complete DIY fitout. The hull build we are very pleased with and the shape of the bow particularly draws favourable comments from passing boaters.

As Chris said earlier, some of the partial fitout was sloppy in several areas, but nothing that wasn't straight forward to correct. The paint finish was excellent but very thin and has deteriorated quickly in a number of places, but I am mindful that it is a boat and the highest quality finishes are going to get scuffed and sraped pretty quickly, so we expect regular maintenance to the paintwork no matter what. Apart from the heating system, which is thoroughly documented elsewhere on this forum, we have been delighted with our home and expect to be living on it for many years to come.

Regarding resale value, the very fact that you will be fitting it out yourself will probably give it a lower resale value than a professional fitout, but I can't see that matters as, like us, you can't afford a fully fitted new boat and a sailaway will increase in value on completion, rather than a likely decrease on a fully fitted purchase.

Good luck

Roger

Hi Roger,

I plan to vist and talk with several builders then I shall make my decision, but yes they do look to be one of my favorites. Is the hull bow shape you refer to, their standard design or a special you requested.

Cheers

Bert