gearbox adjustment

charles123

Featured Posts

I have a standard modern engine and hydraulic gearbox (vetus). My question is about adjustment. When you put in gear it goes with a loud clunk, I guess thats the way they are meant to be as I have heard it many times on other boats, but how much of a clunk should it be if you follow me? I have noticed that on cold days its less of a clunk probably due to the oil being thicker, also the revs seems to be a factor as the lower again the less of a clunk. I can see how to adjust the cable. Is there an optimum adjustment I wonder

Charles

I have a standard modern engine and hydraulic gearbox (vetus). My question is about adjustment. When you put in gear it goes with a loud clunk, I guess thats the way they are meant to be as I have heard it many times on other boats, but how much of a clunk should it be if you follow me? I have noticed that on cold days its less of a clunk probably due to the oil being thicker, also the revs seems to be a factor as the lower again the less of a clunk. I can see how to adjust the cable. Is there an optimum adjustment I wonder

Charles

We have Vetus 415 with Technodrive box. It is very loud clunk when engaging gear. I found lowering tickover speed to about 600 revs made quite a difference, but still loud i'm afraid. Others I have spoken to report much the same. The technodrive box fitted to mine uses ATF for lubrictaion.

Edited due to error.

Edited by Guest

We have Vetus 415 with Technodrive box. It is very loud clunk when engaging gear. I found lowering tickover speed by about 500 revs made quite a difference, but still loud i'm afraid. Others I have spoken to report much the same. The technodrive box fitted to mine uses ATF for lubrictaion.

I have the same model engine and box. About the revs are you saying lower the revs to 500, I think my tickover is about 850? Not sure it will run at 500 but have not tried

Charles

I have the same model engine and box. About the revs are you saying lower the revs to 500, I think my tickover is about 850? Not sure it will run at 500 but have not tried

Charles

Sorry Charles it is 600rpm (senior moment). I was advised this by the man who fitted our engine. It made some difference, but as you say it tends to be quiter when cold. He did point out that the tacho's are not very accurate, and you could tell by the sound of the engine if the idle speed was right. Out of interest, does the plastic expansion bottle on your engine empty itself into the bilges? Ours used to do but I deliberately keep it just below the "minimum" level, which proved to be an instant cure (as advised by Kings Lock Boatyard).

Sorry Charles it is 600rpm (senior moment). I was advised this by the man who fitted our engine. It made some difference, but as you say it tends to be quiter when cold. He did point out that the tacho's are not very accurate, and you could tell by the sound of the engine if the idle speed was right. Out of interest, does the plastic expansion bottle on your engine empty itself into the bilges? Ours used to do but I deliberately keep it just below the "minimum" level, which proved to be an instant cure (as advised by Kings Lock Boatyard).

Catweasal,

I will try lowering the revs to nearer 600 to see if it makes any difference As regards the expansion bottle, its never overflowed but then I have always had it at the low point when cold,I assumed perhaps wrongly that it was not meant to overflow since the cap screws down tightly and I assumed therefore the bottle was sealed and the syatem was presureised

Charles

Catweasal,

I will try lowering the revs to nearer 600 to see if it makes any difference As regards the expansion bottle, its never overflowed but then I have always had it at the low point when cold,I assumed perhaps wrongly that it was not meant to overflow since the cap screws down tightly and I assumed therefore the bottle was sealed and the syatem was presureised

Charles

Yes that works best for me. I used to (wrongly) always top it up to maximum. I remember someone else commenting on this with a Vetus on here.

We have the same engine and gearbox and find the engine quite harsh at certain throttle settings and the gearbox clunky as you have both reported.

The boat is new to us, but we haven't had any problems with coolant overflow. Mind you, the coolant level is near the minimum.

Edited by Pandora

We have the same engine and gearbox and find the engine quite harsh at certain throttle settings and the gearbox clunky as you have both reported.

The boat is new to us, but we haven't had any problems with coolant overflow. Mind you, the coolant level is near the minimum.

Where is the dip stick on the engine - boat made maiden voyage yesterday under new name and couldn't see a dipstick for engine; only for gearbox !!

the dipstick is central to the engine half way down the block hidden under the air filter housing, quite awkward if you have the engine boxed in as I do. As for changing the filter for which I had to use a filter wrench (mine is chain afair that grips the filter and you use a rachet from a socket set) thts also very awkward

Charles

the dipstick is central to the engine half way down the block hidden under the air filter housing, quite awkward if you have the engine boxed in as I do. As for changing the filter for which I had to use a filter wrench (mine is chain afair that grips the filter and you use a rachet from a socket set) thts also very awkward

Charles

tip for oil filter. Put a jubilee clip around it. Tap boss on jubilee clip (where screw is) with screwdriver and hammer. Comes off a treat.

tip for oil filter. Put a jubilee clip around it. Tap boss on jubilee clip (where screw is) with screwdriver and hammer. Comes off a treat.

even easier is to drive a screwdriver through it and use this to wind it off(but dont forget that the oil might drip out)

even easier is to drive a screwdriver through it and use this to wind it off(but dont forget that the oil might drip out)

Done that too. Thing about a jubilee clip is just a bit less messy.

Charles

I really have to add my experience to this forum although I have done so before. The clunk with these Technodrive gearboxes is a bit disconcerting to say the least. However they ALL do it and surely Vetus would not fit an unreliable gearbox to their product (or would they?) I hate the clunk except that if it is normal then so be it. I just hope my gearbox does not disintigrate one day. I have also suffered the overflowing expansion tank.A real pain this was.The excellent agent for Vetus, Access Marine fitted a bleed from the top of the engine (which is not the water filler cap as it should be) to the expansion botttle and the problem was solved. A further problem I have with the tehnodrive gearbox is the amount of ATF it is supposed to hold.The manual says .8 Litre. When I fill my gearbox with .8 litre it is well overfull on the dipstick. Photos of my dipstick to Italy did not resolve the issue. I think the rubber sealer on the dipstick is wrongly fitted so it shows full with only .06 litres in he box. When I last changed the gearbox ATF I drained the box and put in .8 litre. It now shows overfull on the dipstick....why ?? It may be imagination but I do think the dreaded clunk is less pronounced and I dont think the gearbox can be overfull although the dipstick says it is. If I have in fact overfilled the box can I do it any harm? Surely it either holds .8 litre or it does not. Dont bother Vetus with these queries as you wont get a reply.A shame really as I think the engine is very quiet smooth economical and has been 100% reliable.

I really have to add my experience to this forum although I have done so before. The clunk with these Technodrive gearboxes is a bit disconcerting to say the least. However they ALL do it and surely Vetus would not fit an unreliable gearbox to their product (or would they?) I hate the clunk except that if it is normal then so be it. I just hope my gearbox does not disintigrate one day. I have also suffered the overflowing expansion tank.A real pain this was.The excellent agent for Vetus, Access Marine fitted a bleed from the top of the engine (which is not the water filler cap as it should be) to the expansion botttle and the problem was solved. A further problem I have with the tehnodrive gearbox is the amount of ATF it is supposed to hold.The manual says .8 Litre. When I fill my gearbox with .8 litre it is well overfull on the dipstick. Photos of my dipstick to Italy did not resolve the issue. I think the rubber sealer on the dipstick is wrongly fitted so it shows full with only .06 litres in he box. When I last changed the gearbox ATF I drained the box and put in .8 litre. It now shows overfull on the dipstick....why ?? It may be imagination but I do think the dreaded clunk is less pronounced and I dont think the gearbox can be overfull although the dipstick says it is. If I have in fact overfilled the box can I do it any harm? Surely it either holds .8 litre or it does not. Dont bother Vetus with these queries as you wont get a reply.A shame really as I think the engine is very quiet smooth economical and has been 100% reliable.

I cant say I have measured the quantity of oil in the box, cause I just filled it up to the mark. Next time I will measure it out of curiosity. I wondered if perhaps you hadn't got the last drop out, but .2 of a litre sounds a lot to be "hiding".

i am interested in the modification to your engine cooling system. On mine the overflow goes from above the thermostat housing to the plastic expansion bottle (as you say they generally go from the filler cap). Would it be possible to give a little more info? Thanks.

I have found that Vetus have started to reply to emails, usually via one of their agents.

I cant say I have measured the quantity of oil in the box, cause I just filled it up to the mark. Next time I will measure it out of curiosity. I wondered if perhaps you hadn't got the last drop out, but .2 of a litre sounds a lot to be "hiding".

i am interested in the modification to your engine cooling system. On mine the overflow goes from above the thermostat housing to the plastic expansion bottle (as you say they generally go from the filler cap). Would it be possible to give a little more info? Thanks.

I have found that Vetus have started to reply to emails, usually via one of their agents.

Dear Catweasel....... Like your engine the overflow used to go from above the thermostat housing. Access Marine fitted one into the casting just behind the filler cap. This is the highest point of the engine and any air in the system can vent which it cannot do from the original position. Since this was done I have had no problem. I keep the cooling fluid on the minimum mark and it has never overflowed as it used to do. Billy

Dear Catweasel....... Like your engine the overflow used to go from above the thermostat housing. Access Marine fitted one into the casting just behind the filler cap. This is the highest point of the engine and any air in the system can vent which it cannot do from the original position. Since this was done I have had no problem. I keep the cooling fluid on the minimum mark and it has never overflowed as it used to do. Billy

Thanks for info Billy. Certainly it makes more sense to vent the cooling system this way. Is the existing thermostat outlet now blanked off? Thanks