Simple Smartbank question

Featured Posts

Just planning the installation of my new Smartbank Advanced system and wondering where to locate the relay. Presumably not in the battery box because of its open contacts but for the same reason it presumably needs protection. So can it go in a box? Screwfix do a tidy IP55 box that would hold it or does it need space around it to dissipate any heat? (Is there any heat?)

Also was thinking of 35sq mm cables as it will be close to the batteries. Does this seem okay?

(Sadly the multi-page Smartbank instruction booklet doesn't give guidance on this stuff though it does tell me all the things I shouldn't do which could invalidate warranty. And tells me all the reasons a Smartbank is better than a diode system...which I already knew because that's why I bought one. But that's just me being grumpy because I simply want to get on and fit it.)

Just planning the installation of my new Smartbank Advanced system and wondering where to locate the relay. Presumably not in the battery box because of its open contacts but for the same reason it presumably needs protection. So can it go in a box? Screwfix do a tidy IP55 box that would hold it or does it need space around it to dissipate any heat? (Is there any heat?)

Also was thinking of 35sq mm cables as it will be close to the batteries. Does this seem okay?

(Sadly the multi-page Smartbank instruction booklet doesn't give guidance on this stuff though it does tell me all the things I shouldn't do which could invalidate warranty. And tells me all the reasons a Smartbank is better than a diode system...which I already knew because that's why I bought one. But that's just me being grumpy because I simply want to get on and fit it.)

A professional boat sparky bolted my Smartbank Adv. relay to the outside of the battery box too. (I'm sure he used 50mm2 cable). Didn't bother to box it.

No need to box it if it is an area wher it is unlikely to get heavy splashing or physically damaged. Cables are an individual thing and dependant on the designed maxumum draw, but as with most ultra low voltage DC stuff, the bigger the better for less voltage drop.