Canadian Canoes

robsusiecuttlefish

Featured Posts

Hiya again!

Susie and I are still busy fitting out NB Cuttlefish for livaboard use later this summer - could have been earlier but breaking my arm and wrist in a recent freak accident whilst working at home in my lounge ... falling over the rug would you believe ... progress has slowed a little!

Have always wanted to 'adopt' a large canoe both for leisure and the odd shopping trip perhaps? Still looking for a good second-hand one - does anyone out there use one for similar purposes?

Rob And Susie

NB Cuttlefish

I've used one a lot, on the Ouse. For shopping, and for shifting sacks of coal.

One problem with using them for shopping is security, when you leave the canoe. It is easy to use a chain and padlock to secure the canoe, but difficult to store paddles securely. I've had several knicked.

I canoe regularly. If you use the wooden paddles rather than the cheaper plastic/aluminium ones, they have a palm grip which can be drilled so that a bike security chain could be passed through the hole and the paddle chained to the thwarts.

Similarly a chain or wire through the bow can secure them to your boat rails.

The main problem will be that the canoe will increase your air draft and are a little heavy to keep getting off and on.

I guess you could tow it when in areas with lots of bridges.

We have two very old very heavy but great Indian canoes. We use them for shopping, coal, wood, and fun. There is no way we could lift them onto the boat (very very heavy) so we just tow them behind. A bit annoying when winding, but if it is a small winding hole we just tie them up on the bank and pick them up afterwards!

We have a Coleman 16ft 6 canoe that we have tied up beside us at our moorings and we use it from time to time for fun and the occassional fishing expedition. Our favourite pass time with it however is to aim at any of the miriad of 'Canal Times' that head our way and watch the panic on their faces.

We don't take it with us when travelling so security has never been a problem.

We have two very old very heavy but great Indian canoes. We use them for shopping, coal, wood, and fun. There is no way we could lift them onto the boat (very very heavy) so we just tow them behind. A bit annoying when winding, but if it is a small winding hole we just tie them up on the bank and pick them up afterwards!

Cool - how are yer both doing????

we're still fitting out but hope to be moving on board by August - broke my arm/wrist two weeks ago which doesn't help but you have to laugh!

Rob