Feeling nervous

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience Ange. I hope we too can look back on this time later on and say "yep, what were we worrying about!"

What's the rules in respect of getting "iced in"? i mean we do intend to do a bit of cruising back and around manchester from 1/10 even though we have a res mooring in cheshire. But what happens if weather prevents us from getting back to the mooring for whatever reason?

We were iced in for getting on six weeks last winter -- didn't even see BW. Main thing is to be well fuelled up in all departments, well stocked with water and, if you normally pump out the loo, invest in a cassette loo as well, as there are some things you just have to do ! Nice not to be too far from a tap, shop and road if you reckon a hard freeze is coming.

On the mundane side, if you are going to be out on the system and not in a marina, if you have any engine or mechanical issues, get them sorted before the colder weather arrives. A misbehaving diesel has a nasty habit of becoming a dead one if it gets really cold. With the gloomy bits out of the way, enjoy the rest -- I think wintertime boating is magical -- nothing to touch a bright, frosty morning on the canal.

Mike.

@IainW - Yes way too much information and I think ignorance is bliss in some ways. We went into this a bit naively (I wouldn't change it though for the world) but the more I read (sometimes from on this forum) the more scared I get! Good luck though! Are you staying up in scotland?

Yep, on to the Forth & Clyde canal. We have the extra stress of transport and dropping the boat into a tidal river up here.

Best of luck with your adventure!!!