K&A

Tillerman

Featured Posts

Like a previous poster, we're heading off for a short break from Foxhangers on the K&A.

However we're going East.

Ok so I know the first part of the day will be taken up negotiating the flight, but considering we're doing Monday to Friday, how far east do you think we'll get before we'll have to turn round?

I realise that to get the boat back by Friday morning we will have had to have come down the flight Thursday, so that means going past the base, winding and mooring up somewhere like Seend Cleeve.

Any suggestions? And of course any pointers as to what sights/good moorings would be helpful.

Tony

Edited by Tillerman

OK, so you like locks!

Assuming you won't pick the boat up particularly early on Monday, then completion of the 29 locks up to Devizes is the best you'll do that day. There's nice moorings in Devizes where you can recover. If you really want to move on, then cruise another hour (3 miles) to the Bridge Inn at Horton Bridge. This has its own moorings and does a nice dinner.

Tuesday can then be a day of relaxation along the 15 odd miles of the long pound. There's a lovely quirky pub (name slipped my mind) at Honey Street wharf that's worth a stop and has nice moorings. Press on past Pewsey wharf (where I can never get moored) at stop the night below Wootton Rivers where there's good moorings and a short walk to the Royal Oak (I'm not really that into pubs - honest guv).

Wednesday you can head up the Wootton Rivers flight and through the tunnel which will take a couple of hours. I suggest you wind above Crofton top lock (there's plenty of room) and head back down. You could even push on to Honey Street for the night and try that nice pub I can't remember.

Thursday, you'll have 3 hours back to Caen Hill and then work your way back down and on the Barge at Seend.

That's a pretty hardworking few days so I hope you've got a crew. But I reckon Crofton top is about as far as you'd get. If you have spare time, make sure you walk down the Crofton flight and visit the steam engines at the pump house. They are really worth the visit.

Hope that helps - have a play with www.canalplan.org.uk to help you decide what's reasonable.

Rob

Edited by Rob Dean

OK, so you like locks!

Rob

Err locks and pubs but not in that order.

Yes have a hard working crew who never complain. All they ask is for some sustanance now and again!

I've tried Canal Plan a few times, could do with an update. Says that the info for Caern is from 2001! But I understand from April the times change anyway.

Thanks Rob

Tony