Sealed battery location

Featured Posts

Sorry a second post from a forum newbie.

I need to enhance our leisure battery capacity - we currently have 2 x 110 amphr leisure batteries which are not sufficient for our needs.

Space is our problem, we have a semi -trad stern but with the 3 batteries (2 leisure, 1 starter), hydraulic bow thruster components, calorifier and diesel central heating there really is no space to install any more batteries.

One option is to move the calorifier under the back bed and to utilise this space.

The second alternative is to put the additional batteries under one of the back bunks and to connect though to the exisiting pair in parallel.

Assuming we use something like the Squadron AGM "Sealed" batteries - say 2 x 240ah, can we securely (of course) position these in the back cabin as suggested with out any BSS issues.

My understanding is as long as they are totally sealed this should be OK but I would like to be absolutely certain before splashing out on £500 of batteries.

Any advice /concerns (not a post about charging the batteries- before I start one of those running again)

Thanks

John

Sorry a second post from a forum newbie.

I need to enhance our leisure battery capacity - we currently have 2 x 110 amphr leisure batteries which are not sufficient for our needs.

Space is our problem, we have a semi -trad stern but with the 3 batteries (2 leisure, 1 starter), hydraulic bow thruster components, calorifier and diesel central heating there really is no space to install any more batteries.

One option is to move the calorifier under the back bed and to utilise this space.

The second alternative is to put the additional batteries under one of the back bunks and to connect though to the exisiting pair in parallel.

Assuming we use something like the Squadron AGM "Sealed" batteries - say 2 x 240ah, can we securely (of course) position these in the back cabin as suggested with out any BSS issues.

My understanding is as long as they are totally sealed this should be OK but I would like to be absolutely certain before splashing out on £500 of batteries.

Any advice /concerns (not a post about charging the batteries- before I start one of those running again)

Thanks

John

I have a 600amp/hour bank of Squadron sealed batteries. My biggest gripe with them is that the charger has to be set to sealed battery setting, and so they dont charge as quickly as open lead acid. I also find they are a bit slow to charge off the alternator-they are a little lazy compared to open cells. On the plus side they will start the engine in an emergency and as you point out are maintenance free but I am unsure if they could be installed in the cabin-mine are in engine hole. They would probably charge better in the cabin as they would tend to keep warmer than when sat on an icy cold swimplate as in our case.

Edit:

It suggests here "that no special venting rarrangement is required" for these Squadron batteries:

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/l...e_batteries.htm

Edited by Guest