generator silencer

mr toad

Featured Posts

I have a kipor suitcase generator. Great little generators and when running at low power it is quite quiet however it can get a bit noisy as the electrical demand increases. Now my thought was on the rear of the generator is the exhaust - about 15mm diameter pipe. Does anyone know if it would be possible to take a copper pipe from this then through a large can of some sort ( a bit like an engine silencer) then another pipe from the other side of the can say 22mm copper. Would this reduce the engine noise? I also plan to make up an enclosure for the other sides and line with engine acoustic foam. I want to use this generator for all my 240v without anoying my neighbours!

I have a kipor suitcase generator. Great little generators and when running at low power it is quite quiet however it can get a bit noisy as the electrical demand increases. Now my thought was on the rear of the generator is the exhaust - about 15mm diameter pipe. Does anyone know if it would be possible to take a copper pipe from this then through a large can of some sort ( a bit like an engine silencer) then another pipe from the other side of the can say 22mm copper. Would this reduce the engine noise? I also plan to make up an enclosure for the other sides and line with engine acoustic foam. I want to use this generator for all my 240v without anoying my neighbours!

As you obviously don't have restrictions on space many things such as you describe can be done, the only thing to watch is not to make it too restrictive, a large can however could resonate a bit a long pipe say 30mm dia. may be better. Or see if you can get hold of a car type silencer and pipe into that.

thanks for that reply. I just was not sure if it would affect the running of the generator, presumably assuming that outlet pipes from exhaust are larger than exhaust then there should not be a problem. I was thinking of using a piece of 50mm nominal bore pipewith 15mm in one side from genny and other side 22mm out. and I was planning to use some of the exhaust repair compound to seal it all.

Hi MT

What you dont want to do is cause excessive back pressure with your silencer. Genrally internal combustion engines are silenced in two ways; by absorption or baffle. Some vehicles have two silencers , often it is one of each type.

Absorption silencers are less acoustically effieceint but do not restrict back pressure, you could make one with some tube, glassfibre of rockwall type insulation and larger diameter piece of tube.

Copper pipe should not be used for internal combustion engine exhausts. I have forgotten why but I know it shouldn't-something to do with converting the fumes to something else?

Copper pipe should not be used for internal combustion engine exhausts. I have forgotten why but I know it shouldn't-something to do with converting the fumes to something else?

You are probably thinking of the high conductivity of copper transmitting heat back to the engine. It wouldn't apply in this case. Didn't some dodgy sports cars of the 50's and 60's have copper exhausts to make then sound better.

You are probably thinking of the high conductivity of copper transmitting heat back to the engine. It wouldn't apply in this case. Didn't some dodgy sports cars of the 50's and 60's have copper exhausts to make then sound better.

Maybe that is the answer, but there is something niggling me here-I am half certain that I was told/read that something undesirable happens when exhaust fumes pass through copper. If I am talking rubbish then I apologise, I could be getting confused with something else.

Perhaps it would be prudent to use a high temperature flexible exhaust hose, but I can only find this in 38mm bore which is a bit big!! on the back of the kipors there needs to be an extension piece from the exhaust of about 50mm long then I could use something like this by sealing the bigger pipe to the smaller with exhaust sealing tape making sure there are no gaps for fumes to escape because as said im going to put this in an acoustic enclosure. If i use exhaust hose of this size I would think it would help instead of a silencer?