Inverter Query

nb.Stealaway

Featured Posts

Quick question about inverters. A while ago I was given a 'Moore Power MSW 1800W Inverter' which does work & has been used for several hours. However, when running the unit itself makes a continuous buzzing type sound.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this normal for this model or if there is something wrong eg. fan not running right or some other issue?

Regards,

Charles.

Quick question about inverters. A while ago I was given a 'Moore Power MSW 1800W Inverter' which does work & has been used for several hours. However, when running the unit itself makes a continuous buzzing type sound.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this normal for this model or if there is something wrong eg. fan not running right or some other issue?

Regards,

Charles.

Our Sterling PSW inverter makes a dull buzzing sound when it is on. No idea why, but it has done it from new and has always worked well.

Someone will no doubt be along soon with a more technical answer.

That's a technical enough anwser for me :P Thanks very much JR & Gibbo for putting my mind at rest.

Charles

:lol:

If you want to know what causes it, it depends on the type of inverter. With line frequency types (ones with a big 50Hz transformer in them) it's usually the laminations in the transformer rattling. Sometimes it's the actual windings.

With the high frequency types (light weight ones) it's the windings on the high frequency transformers responding to the output current pulses (which are at 100Hz).

Our Mastervotlt Combi 4Kw sometimes sounds like a mainframe server (or rather an air sea resue helicopter) when the fan(s) are running...

Hi MJG, I also have a Mastervolt charger & know what you mean about the fans. This is a completely different sort of sound though.

Sorry Gibbo, what I meant was that I absolutely trust your technical expertise on all things electrical - so if you say it's normal, then I'm sure it is & in this instance don't need to know the ins & outs of why it does it. Ta for expanding on your answer anyway.

Thanks very much to everyone for all the replies,

Charles