uhoh - switch from Barton Turns to Alvecote Marina

hotpotato6

Featured Posts

After all the planning we have put into the Trent & Mersey Canal out of Barton Turns for the week of March 17-24 we have had to make a last minute switch to the Coventry Canal - and now will be getting a smaller narrowboat for the week from Avecote Marina close to Tamworth.

We had arranged to go with another couple on a 55' boat - and the agreement states 3 people are needed to operate the boat. Unfortunately the wife of the other couple just came down with a case of the shingles - and they have had to cancel :lol: . Needless to say, we are all very disappointed.

Since my husband and I don't want to lose our plane tickets we decided to go ahead with a smaller boat that 2 can operate - Barton Turns didn't have one (this is all through time share) so we luckily were able to get a smaller boat at the Alvecote Marina. Whew! Some other plans have to be re-arranged, but it's all going to work. Will this adventure be a test to our 36 years of marriage?!

Was looking forward to meeting the owner of the Jolly Roger (Jolly Roger moors at Barton Turns).

I've been doing research on the Coventry Canal tonight and am sure we will enjoy the week. We will certainly miss our friends and their companionship, but know we will get to meet people along the canal. The 4 of us are just grateful that this miserable illness of shingles didn't attack during the trip.

Thanks again to all who have given us valuable input - and will defintely give a report on how everything goes!

Ruth

• 4 weeks later...

Did you have a good trip on your week holiday along the Coventry/Trent and Mersey? Was the weather good?

This time a week on Monday I'll probably be operating Tilstone Lock on our Four Counties Ring trip, heading to Audlem for the night to get ourselves in a good position for Tuesday - we plan to stop at Norbury Junction on Tuesday night. If the weather is like it is now on Easter Monday afternoon then we should have a very pleasant run on the first afternoon afloat on this trip.