Musical chairs?

Featured Posts

Quote from waterscape:

Chairs appointed to trial Local Waterway Partnerships (in West Midlands)

Roger Hanbury, chief executive of The Waterways Trust, worked with David Fletcher, chair of the National Association of Boat Owners and the local waterway managers, Dean Davies in the West Midlands and Debbie Lumb in the North West, to find the chairs.

He says: “I am delighted that Peter and Steven have been appointed to these positions. The Partnerships will have a huge influence on how local waterways shape up for the future, providing new perspectives and insights, opening up new resources and ideas, and giving local people a greater opportunity to support their local canals and rivers; something that is integral to the success of the new waterways charity. I am confident that Peter and Steven are well placed to champion the interests of the waterways.”

By 'support', what do they mean? Voluntary labour? Donations? Or both? And if the latter, how do they propose to persuade 'local people' that they should donate money to help the inadequate funding of the proposed waterways trust?

And what will Peter Mathews CMG and Professor Steven Broomhead's salaries be, and who will pay them?

And, spin aside, is the existing trial partnership on the K&A actually achieving anything?

sit here

Tone

Given that when they want you our local school governors in a tiny local school e-mail for help but when they want to govern you read their decisions in the local paper I reckon this lot won't be any more forthcoming than the last lot were.

And given these committees will have reps from all interested parties I feel our interests will end up submerged in a mass of fishing places, new towpath improvements, bike tracks and the all powerful eco. I know of a canal where a similar loaded committee do just that where once it was boaters who ran it and did work now its a mass of pressure groups with boaters still the main doers on the cut improvements - but they have little money as that goes elsewhere.

Edited by Tiny