Anyone use a Harris Classic twin tub washer?

DeanS

Featured Posts

The Harris Classic twin tub washer only uses 360Watts. Do you know if it will run off a standard invertor , or do I need to buy a true sine wave invertor? It doesn't seem to use any fancy electronics, from what I can tell. I know there were people on the forum who used them..so this question is for them.

Thx.

We use one but on a 3kva pure sine inverter so cant help with your question.

I can say that we have had to fix ours 3 times due to the spinner mounts failing & the new ones failing but all supplied under warranty. We have also had to change the spin motor which I thought could be due to the mounts keeping failing but they dint agree so we had to pay for that. The hoses are a joke in fact worse than a joke cos jokes have some use.

We use one but on a 3kva pure sine inverter so cant help with your question.

I can say that we have had to fix ours 3 times due to the spinner mounts failing & the new ones failing but all supplied under warranty. We have also had to change the spin motor which I thought could be due to the mounts keeping failing but they dint agree so we had to pay for that. The hoses are a joke in fact worse than a joke cos jokes have some use.

How long have you had it?

The Harris Classic twin tub washer only uses 360Watts. Do you know if it will run off a standard invertor , or do I need to buy a true sine wave invertor? It doesn't seem to use any fancy electronics, from what I can tell. I know there were people on the forum who used them..so this question is for them.

Thx.

Dean with so many people you would find it hard to dry the washing. Dont underestimate how dirty you get living on a boat more so in winter, I would just look at a list of launderettes get it all washed and dried in one go.

Thx.

We have one & use it with an 1800w Sterling inverter which is not pure sine & it runs fine, tend to have engine running at same time so as plenty of hot water.

Have to agree with other post about hoses etc, we had to replace them all, the machine does seem a bit flimsy but once the hoses were sorted it has been fine.

The one on ebay at £199 is a better deal than we got, I paid £238 rolleyes.gif

They are of course very hands on, I usually spend about 1 morning every week or so just on the washing, but heh we're retired & have all the time in the world!

We have one & use it with an 1800w Sterling inverter which is not pure sine & it runs fine, tend to have engine running at same time so as plenty of hot water.

Have to agree with other post about hoses etc, we had to replace them all, the machine does seem a bit flimsy but once the hoses were sorted it has been fine.

The one on ebay at £199 is a better deal than we got, I paid £238 rolleyes.gif

They are of course very hands on, I usually spend about 1 morning every week or so just on the washing, but heh we're retired & have all the time in the world!

I think Dean has 6 people living on the boat so he might have to make that a whole day :P

I think Dean has 6 people living on the boat so he might have to make that a whole day :P

Or two days trugging back & forth to the laundrette not forgetting the mortgage he would need to pay for it.

The savings just from not using a laundrette used to pay for our winter genny fuel (now the FIT's pay it).

Yes we use one on a 1000watt jobby. Works fine and we don't run the engine. Have to agree about the hoses though and changed ours before fitting. We fill by bucket but empty through a skin fitting. On hearing the probs with the spin mounts we have been very careful to equalise the load and have had no problems.....so far! I think if the load gets far out of balance then the dryer can shake badly maybe causing the failure. Of course the thing should be stronger in the first place!

.....and there's only two of us.

Edited by Gunna Do

Or two days trugging back & forth to the laundrette not forgetting the mortgage he would need to pay for it.

The savings just from not using a laundrette used to pay for our winter genny fuel (now the FIT's pay it).

Maybe if there is only 2 of you but six people is a lot of washing in a week to do and get dry(whats a FITS)

Maybe if there is only 2 of you but six people is a lot of washing in a week to do and get dry(whats a FITS)

The amount of washing is the same no matter where you do it. Ok the laundrette will have bigger washers & dryers but you are stuck there doing it. Even with the interaction of the twin tub you can do other things at the same time.

FIT's = Feed In Tariff. Its the payments for making elec in my case via solar PV.

The amount of washing is the same no matter where you do it. Ok the laundrette will have bigger washers & dryers but you are stuck there doing it. Even with the interaction of the twin tub you can do other things at the same time.

FIT's = Feed In Tariff. Its the payments for making elec in my case via solar PV.

If my daughters washing is any thing to go by (the same ammount of people as dean) his poor wife will be washing morning till night everyday :P

We have one too and I have to admit so far (after 6 months) I think I may be a little bit in love with it :)

Granted the hoses look bad, but maybe they look worse than they are, as we have used the supplied emptying hose without issue so far. We just fill with a normal hose that we cobbled together with a tap attachment... I wouldn't be surprised if the hose did die shortly.

It runs happily of a 1000w inverter although I think ours is a pure sine wave one, so can't be much help there.

I suppose it is a bit of pain having to stand over it but it's worth it to not be chewing through the batteries or in the water point every wash day :-) And you can fit in a massive amount more than a studio automatic...