porthole

Featured Posts

When I split the bedroom into two it meant that one was left without a window. There is enough light coming in from the window by the corridor for the bedroom not to be too dark, but the occupant would like his own window. So basically ..... how big a job is it to add another porthole.....and what sort of price would I be looking at?

It would only be a few say 3 or 4 hours work for me to do and I am a wally. If you fancy it yourself then you would need a jigsaw, drill and patience.

Careful planing would be needed to ensure that there are no supporting struts in the bit you choose. They are normally spaced at 12inch or something. If you look down the lenght of the boat you might be able to see where they have been welded to the sheet metal.

Tim

How big the job is depends on the way your boat is isolated, like with prayfoam or removable stuff and the panelling that has to be dismanteled and redone to finish the job. Also the question is if your boat has some portholes already to get one exactly the same, and are they welded or bolted to the cabin-sides, if bolted in, the hole could be made with a jigsaw and the sprayfoam would not be a problem and the job could be done with quite basic tools, like no cutting and/or welding gear. The price of a job like that is depending on the price of the needed porthole and the hourly rate of the person who's going to do the job for you, I don't think that one could give a fixed price without seeing the job.

Peter.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure whether the portholes are welded or bolted. If the latter, I may be tempted to have a go myself, though I don't want to overestimate my skills and come a cropper. The finishing off inside, I am more comfortable with, though the panelling would have to be cut, as when I split the rooms I added a small bulkhead that I have no intention of ever taking down!

Edited by lemontoes