Alternative energy

prob

Featured Posts

I'd like to get away from using my engine to power my 12v systems and (via an inverter) the 240v system.

Can anyone offer advise on solar and wind power - cost, practicalities and effectiveness. Would it be possible to run an average (TV, lighting, stereo, fridge etc) residential boat wholly by renewable energy.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul

I have 4 Solar Panels and a Rutland 913 Wind generator (see http://www.tafelberg.ws )

We still are running the engine at the moment but not as much as if we didn't have this kit.

If we have no sun or wind then we have to run the engine. The wind Generator is the best buy to start with (it's cheaper).

Hi Paul

There's been a fair bit of interest in this topic and some great links to sites, as well as boaters on here with experience of solar panels and wind turbines.

I can't find them all now but have a couple to hand that could help:

Solarwatts

Solarboat

SEA

Go Solar

However I've found the most useful thing has been to talk to people who are actually using these systems. And I can't help you there - yet!