chimmneys!

dak

Featured Posts

Ours was set off because the catch on the stove door "failed" and the door opened slightly letting combustion products into the cabin. This happened after we had gone to bed and we were awoke at about 2 in the morning with it beeping like mad. Lucky or what!

Clucking Bell!! I was worried about that happening, and now you tell me it's happened.

I presume you locked it down tight before you retired for the night. How did it 'fail' ?

What stove have you got?

And what precautions can people take to make sure it doesn't happen to them?

Personally, I wedge my door shut with the coal dustbin. In addition to

making sure the hinge is securely fastened. (morso squirrel).

We possitioned ours in the bedroom on the rear bulk head about a foot from the cabin roof and over the bed head, we test it regularly

nod. that's what we do too.

Do you know of one that would inform us of levels in the Saloon without it beeping

all the time? We both smoke, and we know there will be CO in the cabin. But we'd

like to keep track of how much, without our nerves being jangled every 5 minutes by

an overly paranoid alarm.

I'm glad you are both safe and sound.

You're both lucky, and wise (for installing the alarm).

Long may that continue.

Edited by kendo

Clucking Bell!! I was worried about that happening, and now you tell me it's happened.

I presume you locked it down tight before you retired for the night. How did it 'fail' ?

What stove have you got?

And what precautions can people take to make sure it doesn't happen to them?

Personally, I wedge my door shut with the coal dustbin. In addition to

making sure the hinge is securely fastened. (morso squirrel).

nod. that's what we do too.

Do you know of one that would inform us of levels in the Saloon without it beeping

all the time? We both smoke, and we know there will be CO in the cabin. But we'd

like to keep track of how much, without our nerves being jangled every 5 minutes by

an overly paranoid alarm.

I'm glad you are both safe and sound.

You're both lucky, and wise (for installing the alarm).

Long may that continue.

Hi again kendo,

I would have said we were almost paranoid about checking things were safe before retiring for the night. I worked for 30 years in the airline industry where safety is of ultimate importance. The alarm is the final backup to take account of circumstances that are unforseeable. Ours is a squirrel and I can not explain how the door came open other than by "pilot error". We now both check the door last thing rather than just one of us doing it. I could not recommend one unit with a read out however, I think DICON do make one.

Regards.

Lewis

Having seen what can happen during a house chimney cleanout and the bottom cloths came away, I'm a bit worried about poking the flue brush down the chimney! Or is narrowboat soot different? :lol:

Well they're smaller and you do it more frequently so there should be less soot! Keep the door shut and it should fall into the ash pan, let it settle and no more messy than getting rid of ash. Your experience was probably with an open fireplace? Which would be a lot more messy.

I got a brush sold for cleaning behind radiators, like a long flexible bottle brush. The brush part was easily formed into a circle to fit the stove pipe and straightened our again for sweeping the soot off the top of the oven into the firebox and thus the ashpan on Warriors somewhat Heath Robinson back cabin stove.

Edited by Chertsey