PRM 260 exchange sought,,

down the north

Featured Posts

Hi all,

i've a spare 3:1 PRM 260, which was bought as a tug spare gearbox,,,, but I'll be selling the tug in the spring ( thrasher as used and abused by L & W ) so I'm on the lookout for an A1 unused 2:1 prm 260 as a direct exchange if theres anyone out there with one. The next boat is 2:1 hence my interest, failing that I'll probably sell it, so its got to go somehow,,,

cheers

martin

Hi all,

i've a spare 3:1 PRM 260, which was bought as a tug spare gearbox,,,, but I'll be selling the tug in the spring ( thrasher as used and abused by L & W ) so I'm on the lookout for an A1 unused 2:1 prm 260 as a direct exchange if theres anyone out there with one. The next boat is 2:1 hence my interest, failing that I'll probably sell it, so its got to go somehow,,,

cheers

martin

You don't say what condition the 3:1 is in, your post could be read as saying it's new but it's ambiguous.

I might be interested if the price is right, for my own project, though no 2:1 to offer.

Tim

You don't say what condition the 3:1 is in, your post could be read as saying it's new but it's ambiguous.

I might be interested if the price is right, for my own project, though no 2:1 to offer.

Tim

Hi Tim,,,,,,,, its actually BRAND new, never been on a boat , never used, straight out of the test shop at Coventry !!! I got it just in case i had a tug breakdown and needed one in a rapid fashion !!

I'll check out new current prices and ponder on it,

speak soon, thx, martin

I am sure tha poor old Percy Riley would be turning in his grave! I know that a lot of people carry all sorts of spares, but a spare PRM 260? they are virtually bomb proof. Now if it was a small box by one of the competitors, then just maybe, but the PRM 260 is designed for Sea Going fishing boats, and is technically over sized for a narrowboat in the first place. Has anyone ever had one fail mechanicaly whilst being used in a narrowboat?

The PRM 260 (Originall PRM 160) in our boat is 28 years old, and has done well in excess of 20.000 hours. When I had the engine re-built a couple of years ago, I asked the engineer to dismantle and inspect the box. The workings were still in perfect condition with no wear at all. It was just cleaned and re-built.

Edited by David Schweizer

I am sure tha poor old Percy Riley would be turning in his grave! I know that a lot of people carry all sorts of spares, but a spare PRM 260? they are virtually bomb proof. Now if it was a small box by one of the competitors, then just maybe, but the PRM 260 is designed for Sea Going fishing boats, and is technically over sized for a narrowboat in the first place. Has anyone ever had one fail mechanicaly whilst being used in a narrowboat?

The PRM 260 (Originall PRM 160) in our boat is 28 years old, and has done well in excess of 20.000 hours. When I had the engine re-built a couple of years ago, I asked the engineer to dismantle and inspect the box. The workings were still in perfect condition with no wear at all. It was just cleaned and re-built.

Cheers david, yes I had the 160 on Anne and it never failed, however would you rent your boat out to a cowboy tug 'steerer',,,,,,, i just wanted to be prepared however never actually had any trouble with it, as you say, bomb proof ,cheers, martin