Calorifier coil rupture

Matthew Dowson

Featured Posts

Not having x-ray vision I can't see if a coil has split, but the hot water is very stinky and cloudy, and my expansion tank on the engine cooling system is FTB so I assume a pipe or weld has split inside the calorifier and the 2 systems are now one. This is annoying as its only 18 months old. Have other people had this sort of problem, is it rare or common? The manufacturer is having the tank back to inspect, but it was only a 12 month warranty. The boatyard is changing it out this week.

At least it happened at the end of our 2 week cruise Shipley to Hebden Bridge and back so I only had a few showers in engine coolant!

1. your cylinder is guaranteed for 2 years not 1 this is european law the manufacturer is wrong to give 1 year

2. yes it happens occasionally i have had 2 in the last 12 months where the tank has split (indirect telford cylinder 36"x18" and a centercyl ) although domestic they are of similar construction.