Calling all Sea Otter owners

Featured Posts

Marianette

Hey andrew, put a beer on it :lol: Marionette and her sister boat High Jump were the first otters to be produced. they were 18ft long and as such had no water ballast system, as Im sure other sea otter owners will confirm.

Edit; to add further info

The first two experimental/demo canal boats were built by Sea Otter in 1995. They did not have the water ballast system. In fact the permanent ballast in the second, 22ft, was the old iron fireplace from Cindy's Mother's house.

We met Ray and Cindy at Braunston in Aug. 95 for a demonstration. The boat was unpainted, bright polished aluminium finish, for demonstration purposes. Rays Brother in law and family were using the boat for a holiday. One of the little boys on board was Paul, now managing Director of Sea Otter. Both demonstraters were sold on in Sept 95 - I think one might have been named Puddleduck.

We gave an order that morning for a new "Swan 22 trailable aluminium narrowboat. Build number 015" (with water ballast system)

Marionette, 18ft, was ordered at the Chester show a couple of weeks later, but with our agreement was built first to be ready for the Birmingham Boat and Caravan Show next Spring. Mike and Marion did all the decorative painting and signwriting themselves.

High Jump was increased to 23ft and delivered in April.

At that time it was thought that 23ft was the maximum legal length to be trailable. By applying the rule concerning permitted trailer overhang this was later increased to 26ft, and indeed to 31ft.

Be aware however that the 31ft boats are over 3.5Tonnes and therefore only towable by a vehicle and trailer with linked power operated brakes, that system will cost in the region of£10,000.

Re strength, I also had initial doubts. However during my first visit to the workshop at Duckmanton I found a cut off of the 7mm aluminium hull plate. I put it in a vice and hammered and beat it resoundingly with a large hammer. Surprisingly it seemed to me to be as strong as mild steel.

Someone also mentioned the time when High Jump was rammed by an out of control Double Peniche on the Canal du Nord. Terrifying. We had jumped ashore just seconds before the impact. A heavier boat would have been sunk on the spot. Being so light when the mooring ropes broke High Jump was catapulted forward and eventualy clear. Minimal damage. I wrote a report which was published in one of the canal magazines, probably still have it if anyone would like me to put it up as an attachment.

High Jump spends about 12 weeks per year in the water. Was not originally fitted with a protection isolator, I fitted one later. We use shore current whenever available.

Black Hull is given a coat of Black bitumen paint from Builders merchant before each trip - Peggy likes it to look nice when on the road. Topsides still unpainted since new and look pretty good.

The first two experimental/demo canal boats were built by Sea Otter in 1995. They did not have the water ballast system. In fact the permanent ballast in the second, 22ft, was the old iron fireplace from Cindy's Mother's house.

Just put this together,

it's the prototype I built for Ray. This was to prove we could actually do it in Aluninium.

After trials it was found that some sort of ballast was needed, so the first atempt was a water tank inside the boat....failed.

The actual idea of the water ballast use today, came from me washing milk bottles at home, if you fill a bottle with water, leaving the neck in the water and try to lift, it gets quite heavy. So does the boat.

Andrew