protecta - kote

CampinGazz

Featured Posts

i have a shower cubicle made up of shower boards (which are only 3mm ply sheets with some vinyl stuck on them to make em water proof) at the corners and tray join they have been siloconed, then had bath sealing strips put over to make the joins kinda look neat,

but the silicone swells up in summer, contracts in winter and hence pulls away from the join, and lets water through.

so i wanted to get it sprayed with one of those pick up truck bed liners, speed cote or something like that say no problems, they have done shower cubicles before, pay is 600 quid and we'll do it,

needless to say 600 quid is a bit much for me,

there seems to be a diy 'bed coating system' called protecta - kote, it's sold in a fair few chandlers, so seems to be used on boats,

anyone used this stuff in a shower cubicle?

the main thing i am wondering about is will it react with silicone sealant, obviousely i will scrape out all the silicone i can from the joins, but i'll never get the cubicle 100% silicone free,

i've e-mailed protecta kote a few times asking this question, but never got a reply,

anyone applied it over silicone? or is there something i can paint over the silicone to mask it from the protecta kote?

i have a shower cubicle made up of shower boards (which are only 3mm ply sheets with some vinyl stuck on them to make em water proof) at the corners and tray join they have been siloconed, then had bath sealing strips put over to make the joins kinda look neat,

but the silicone swells up in summer, contracts in winter and hence pulls away from the join, and lets water through.

so i wanted to get it sprayed with one of those pick up truck bed liners, speed cote or something like that say no problems, they have done shower cubicles before, pay is 600 quid and we'll do it,

needless to say 600 quid is a bit much for me,

there seems to be a diy 'bed coating system' called protecta - kote, it's sold in a fair few chandlers, so seems to be used on boats,

anyone used this stuff in a shower cubicle?

the main thing i am wondering about is will it react with silicone sealant, obviousely i will scrape out all the silicone i can from the joins, but i'll never get the cubicle 100% silicone free,

i've e-mailed protecta kote a few times asking this question, but never got a reply,

anyone applied it over silicone? or is there something i can paint over the silicone to mask it from the protecta kote?

i think your main problem is the ply moving due to the thickness you have.a cheaper solution would be to use a upvc bathroom cladding from wicks or other diy sheds straight on top stick it on top with a flexible adhesive like sika ,remove the vinyl if its loose if not it will be fine to go on top you can get corner and end cover strips to make a neat job ,then a quality silicon around the bottem

i'm really not keen on anything with joints anymore,

if i could get the cubicle 100% free of silicone, then that protecta kote stuff would work,

guess i'd best buy a tin of it and see what happens,

thing is i also have a dammaged shower tray, put a crate of coke bottles in there as a good storage place... or so i thought, the cracks on the corners have been repaired... i fiberglassed them from behind, but you can still see where they have been repaired, so the spray stuff would hide that and make sure the cracks never cause a problem again,

idealy i'd put in a new tray, but i cant seem to find them, they are an odd shape, 70 cm square but with one corner missing if that makes sense, actually i have a photo.. the one i sent to the speed liner people to get the quote for spray lining it, you can see the sealing strips and what they do, they go on flat, but if applied in summer, they contract and pull up from the bottom in winter, if applied in winter, they expand and buckle along the length,

and you can see the yicky discoloration from where it's been fiberglassed,

shower%20tray.jpg

anyone know where i can get one of these trays from, as that'd make my lif a hell of a lot easier if i could rip it out and start again.