Generator Fuel Consumption

Robin2

Featured Posts

There was a recent post about a Hyundai generator as an alternative to the usual Honda ones. When I follow the link it states that the fuel consumption is 420g/kWhr. Honda says their generator (EU10i) uses 2.3 litres in 8.3 hours at 1/4 load (which I presume means 225 watts). That works out at 1.23 litres or 910g/kWhr. But Honda give no information on fuel consumption a full load. Edge Technology have told me on the phone that the EU10i uses 300g/kWhr when using LPG - but bear in mind that a kg of LPG has about 8% more energy than a kg of petrol.

Does anyone have any actual fuel consumption figures for any of these generators?

Also, does anyone know how many hours these generators will operate for before they need to be replaced?

I though a kilo of LPG was the same (almost) as 2L of petrol?

In fact I know it is from when I used to run a LPG car.

Petrol is just about 1L to 1Kg but LPG is 2L to 1Kg

1L of LPG has LESS energy than 1L of petrol ( 10% ish ? )

Justme

snipped

1L of LPG has LESS energy than 1L of petrol ( 10% ish ? )

Justme

Yep agreed. It is generally accepted that cars are less efficent on consumption when running on gas than on petrol and the figure of approx 10% seems about what most accept I believe.

Roger

There was a recent post about a Hyundai generator as an alternative to the usual Honda ones. When I follow the link it states that the fuel consumption is 420g/kWhr. Honda says their generator (EU10i) uses 2.3 litres in 8.3 hours at 1/4 load (which I presume means 225 watts). That works out at 1.23 litres or 910g/kWhr. But Honda give no information on fuel consumption a full load. Edge Technology have told me on the phone that the EU10i uses 300g/kWhr when using LPG - but bear in mind that a kg of LPG has about 8% more energy than a kg of petrol.

Does anyone have any actual fuel consumption figures for any of these generators?

Also, does anyone know how many hours these generators will operate for before they need to be replaced?

What they have quoted there is the specific fuel consumption. The problem with that is it may not be in the rev range of the most used generator output. Therefore the actual consumption may be alot higher than quoted.

The Honda quote would seem to be more reliable as it is approximate to real world conditions.

The specific gravity of petrol fuels is around .75, that is, 1 litre of fuel will weigh about 750 grms.