East Midlands Ring - any advice?

Zoe

Featured Posts

So we have two weeks booked from Saturday with Black Prince from their new base at Napton, and we intend to do the East Midlands Ring. We've been looking at the Nicholson guide and fairly arbitarily we decided that we should do it anti-clockwise. Is this the right choice? Would navigating the parts on the rivers Trent and Soar be easier in one direction than the other? Nicholson's guide issues some rather bland warnings about flooding and strong weirs on the river sections. Are these actually a problem at this time of the year? I know things could change if there were a few days of heavy rain but otherwise will there be any problems on the rivers? We have been on the Severn when we did the Stourport Ring so we are not complete novices at rivers. I didn't like the Severn but that was more about it being very wide and without a towpath rather than problems with the flow.

I've already read here that stopping in Leicester is not advised, so has anyone any suggestions of good places to moor (on the whole route, not just near Leicester) - preferably with a pub with food or restaurant nearby (say within a mile's walk) - this is a holiday and I'm not planning to do much cooking if I can help it!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :unsure:

Zoë

Stop at Kilby Bridge south of Leicester and moor below Thurmaston Lock after the City, go through in a day easy. Before that, if you have time, visit Welford Arm it is lovely along there, if you are lucky, you can moor right at the end. The trip along Market Harborough arm is also good, but watch out for the Canaltime operation in the basin there. The Steamboat pub is worth a visit at Trent Lock (entrance to the Erewash canal. I wouldn't reccommend the trip up the Erewash if you are travelling alone, as it is hard work). Shardlow is a good place to moor, lots of moorings there. Swarkestone, and Willington are OK too, nice for a walk round in the evening as is Branston near Burton on Trent as there is a nature park alongside the canal. Alrewas makes a good overnight stop. Fradley is a bit frenetic at times. The Coventry Canal near Hopwas is superb IF you are feeling flush a walk round Steve Hudson's yard at Glascote will give you boats to drool over. Inspect the gardens at Amington. look into the old BW yard at Hartshill but be careful mooring there as there is a noisy factory the other side of the tall trees. Watch out for kids on bridges through Nuneaton, not always, but sometimes, they spit or throw stones. Try the Navigation pub at bridge 14 and then you're almost at Hawkesbury Junction. The Rose and Castle at Ansty on the Oxford Canal has a good reputation and both the Boat and Barley Mow at Newbold (just through the tunnel) serve good meals and the Boat has Davenports Bitter (Yum) There is a convenient Tesco store near bridge 58 after Hillmorton locks (Badsey's Bistro is recommended) you have about a couple of hours back to Braunston.

Enjoy your trip!

Tony. :unsure: