More on boat painting!

Featured Posts

Firstly, thanks to all those who replyed to my previous question regarding "Narrowwboat" paint.

I have decided as it is my first attempt at boat painting not to spend too much money on paint and have in mind a "Johnstones" paint for the under and top coat. I am going to regard this as a practice run with a view to, in a couple of years time, a strip back to bare metal and a better quality paint.

There are a few small patches of rust to deal with, I will use an abrasive disc in the angle grinder to remove and filler to restore the level.

My question this time is; is there a good "active" primer available that will kill any rust that the abrasive disc might miss?

John

Vactan! It's wonderful stuff..

Seconded. I coated a rusty patch on the roof several months ago as a test. it is till blue black and no sign of rust.

One word of warning, particularly if it is warm when you apply it. The instructions just say can be overcoated when dry, do not be fooled by the fact that the surface feels dry. It actually takes several hours to harden, and you may end up with little bubbles in the paint if you overcoat too early. After finding this out the hard way, I now leave it overnight before applying the primer paint.