Building a double dinette

Mr Blue Sky

Featured Posts

We've just bought our first boat and wanting to build a double berth dinette. Can anyone recommend a website or reading material to give us some help in dimensions/template?

IIRC there's one in the recent edition of the narrowboat builder's book; the one by Graham Booth. If not templates per se there's at least an illustrated pattern, then it's just a case of making sure it's double bed sized...

If you PM me with your email address [don't put it here] I'll send some pics and a design that David Schweizer on here kindly sent me, I'm sure he won't mind.

John

Edited to atribute David Schweizers name.

Edited by johnjo

We've just bought our first boat and wanting to build a double berth dinette. Can anyone recommend a website or reading material to give us some help in dimensions/template?

I'm sure a template will be helpful, but don't forget that you're (presumably) doing it for your own benefit, so most of all, make sure it works and is comfortable for what you want. If it's going to see full time use as a bed as well. have a careful think about which aspect of its use is the more important. Don't do what a friend of mine has, which is make a cracking daytime dining area, but with cushioning so thin you may as well be sleeping on the boards.

As a matter of interest, are you fitting out a shell or altering an existing boat ? If the latter, what's going to make way for the dinette?

Mike.

Edited by onthecut

I'm sure a template will be helpful, but don't forget that you're (presumably) doing it for your own benefit, so most of all, make sure it works and is comfortable for what you want. If it's going to see full time use as a bed as well. have a careful think about which aspect of its use is the more important. Don't do what a friend of mine has, which is make a cracking daytime dining area, but with cushioning so thin you may as well be sleeping on the boards.

As a matter of interest, are you fitting out a shell or altering an existing boat ? If the latter, what's going to make way for the dinette?

Mike.

Hi Mike

Thanks for your suggestions. Having used hire boats with micro-thickness mattresses we were already planning to use some decent foam for the cushions. John's already sent us some excellent plans for a dinette from the one he made from David's Plans, so I think we'll be using those, which include some pretty canny features.

The dinette will be used only occasionally as we have a fixed small double at the stern end. We bought the boat new and it's partially fitted out already, so fortunately we're only having to sacrifice a small kitchen unit to accommodate the dinette arrangement.

Thanks for your interest

Dave & Heather

PS. If David Schweizer is reading this post, have you thought of printing a book of your designs/plans? I'm sure they'd be snapped up by would-be boat fitters who aren't too confident at getting the measurements right!

Edited by Mr Blue Sky