BBC TV Tonight - Sunday 15th Feb

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

There is a programme tonight on BBC 1 at 9.00 pm on Victorian paintings, part of it is illustating a trip on the canals to Manchester. This strikes me as possibly very interesting or possibly the most boring TV ever. Introduced by Jeremy Paxman, I think I will record it and select the bits I want to watch

Edited by scrumpylurcher

There is a programme tonight on BBC 1 at 9.00 pm on Victorian paintings, part of it is illustating a trip on the canals to Manchester. This strikes me as possibly very interesting or possibly the most boring TV ever. Introduced by Jeremy Paxman, I think I will record it and select the bits I want to watch

Paxman, Manchester, Victorians, art and canals. It sounds unmissable to me!

I thought it was a very polished affair with lovely camera work and lucid editing in presenting history in terms of today's concerns to make it relevent. They made a big thing about the handful of very well known paintings as part of the visual narrative. I can imagine the meeting where bods from marketing were saying "Having Paxman presenting history isn't enough, we need an angle!" "Well, we use paintings as part of the programme," said the director "Great, that's it them.... Paxman and Paintings!"

I suppose it was pitched at GCSE standard, with no depth to any aspect, just gorgeous images and eloquent Paxman (and very little on canals - but then canals were just another transport option by the time Victoria took the throne)

"Having Paxman presenting history isn't enough, we need an angle!" "Well, we use paintings as part of the programme," said the director "Great, that's it them.... Paxman and Paintings!"

I recall Paxman being reduced to tears when learning how his ancestors had been in the Poor House in Victorian times (Who do you think you are) . I suspect Paxman had a particular interest in finding out more about the life of the working man and the East End slums.