Squirrel Fires

Whitewater

Featured Posts

A friend of mine has a morso squirel fire. It has developed an oddity, the main door keeps opening for no apparent reason. The fire was resited and the old screw holes used. This have been taken out, so the fire is not secure. Any suggestions of a cause or cure

A few years ago the door of my Squirrel kept coming open if I didn't wedge it really tight closed - one night it bounced open while I was asleep and set the carbon monoxide detectors off (thank god I had them) as the fire grew hotter. Turned out the 'hooky bit' (technical term) of the catch had slowly worn itself away over the years. If this looks the case with your friend's fire, you can get a new handle. I found it easier, as I needed new glass, rope etc at the same time (due to slamming the door too hard to wedge it), to buy a new door and just drop that on.

A few years ago the door of my Squirrel kept coming open if I didn't wedge it really tight closed - one night it bounced open while I was asleep and set the carbon monoxide detectors off (thank god I had them) as the fire grew hotter. Turned out the 'hooky bit' (technical term) of the catch had slowly worn itself away over the years. If this looks the case with your friend's fire, you can get a new handle. I found it easier, as I needed new glass, rope etc at the same time (due to slamming the door too hard to wedge it), to buy a new door and just drop that on.

Will pass it on thanks :lol: