Continuous cruising in winter

mingus

Featured Posts

OK, I'm hoping my first post to the forum isn't so contentious that I start a fist fight but,,,,,,,

I've been cruising the system for about six months now, I bought a lovely - but somewhat lacking in TLC - 57' trad stern called Martha in April and I've been up to Weedon on the GU, learnt loads, freaked out totally in a tunnel and generally had a good summer painting decks, learning skills and pottering about but now WINTER is fast approaching.

I'm on waiting lists (have been for 5 months) but don't yet have a mooring and my lovely Martha is going to need some work doing - so far I've just fitted new fuel lines, filters and oil to a Lister Petter that is in serious need of a serious overhaul. In essence my question is "how do I maintain a cruise whilst rebuilding a 40 year old engine?" It's not that I actually want to stop moving about or to renege on my promise to constantly explore but, in the absence of a horse, sending a cylinder head off for valve grinding and re-seating isn't possible if I have to move every 2 weeks and neither (in approx 3 months time) is becoming an ice breaker with an engine that's probably pushing out about 12HP flat out. How does the "constant cruiser" maintain their boat when engineering companies have a 28 day turnaround? Is there a winter armistice when the cut is frozen? If all else fails I guess I just sit tight and pay the daily overstayers fine because I have no choice but it does seem wrong - I'm not going to stop moving because of an unexpected problem if I can stop somewhere out of the way to prevent it happening but there doesn't seem to be any provision for this in the licence. Am I missing something or are we CC ers supposed to de-materialize or pay exorbitant fees for others to do the work just 'cause they can do it in their private yards?

Couple of thoughts....

1 Winter mooring. It'll cost, but guaranteed free of hassle from BW.

2 Moor away from visitor moorings. Can't see the patrol walking very far from the roads in winter.

3 Tie up where you like, and if BW do turn up, point them at your dismantled engine. They'll most likely be fine about it.

4 (what I'd do) Phone or call in at local BW office and explain the situation. The bods on the ground are actually very reasonable if you tell 'em what you're doing, and they know you're not taking the P.

3 Tie up where you like, and if BW do turn up, point them at your dismantled engine. They'll most likely be fine about it.

4 (what I'd do) Phone or call in at local BW office and explain the situation. The bods on the ground are actually very reasonable if you tell 'em what you're doing, and they know you're not taking the P.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with 4 while I have a choice and fall back to 3, pretty much inevitably if 4 is refused given the engine compression readings. Let's pray for a mild winter...

Being away from the home mooring earlier this year and faced with an overstay because I got called away at short notice, I rang BW in advance and they were most accommodating. The patrol officer told me that being kept in the loop made their life much easier and implied that generally speaking, for a legitimate reason it wouldn't be a problem to overstay if you are up front about it.

Edited to add: Come to think of it, dis-assembled mechanical contrivences seem to attract. If you're moored up with an engine in pieces you'll probably find a stream of well-wishers and those offering to help, so winter doesn't have to be so bleak....

Edited by Denis R