They're Coming Back to the Water

Ian Hughes

Featured Posts

Sunday, 7th September 2008 at 7.30 pm. Venue : North Cheshire Cruising Club, High Lane, nr Stockport, SK6 8AA. Close to bridge 11 on the Macclesfield canal.

Benny Graham and Johnny Handle will be presenting their entertaining show about the canals featuring songs and archive pictures. The show is in the NCCC clubhouse where the bar will be open during the evening. Cost £5. Your will be sure of a warm welcome and if you want to ensure a ticket just e-mail me : ian@moonlightshadow.demon.co.uk

Roy Harris gave Benny Graham this unsolicited recommendation on the Mudcat folk music discussion forum. I repeat it here as an encouragement to anyone who can to make it to this event.

"I have known Benny Graham for the best part of 40 years. I can tell you without hesitation that he is one of the best singers in the country, UK that is. He has a beautiful voice and his singing is full of a life force that lifts the spirit like no other. I have no idea why he isn't recognised by the majority as a national musical treasure. My advice to you all is - Go to hear Benny, solo or with Johnny Handle, Bob Fox, or Pegleg Ferret, you won't regret it, not if you know what good singing is about. If you run a club or festival, book him and bring something special to your event. Folks in the USA or Oz, NZ, etc, do yourselves a favour,invite him over. It's time that the folk world woke up to his ability. Bravo Benny!"

Tickets are selling well but it will be possible to pay on the night for 'They're Coming Back to the Water' (a bargain at only £5).

Edited by Ian Hughes

I am informed that Benny Graham & Johnny Handle will also be doing the show 'They're Coming back to the Water', originally developed by Benny & the late Jeff Dennison, at St Michael & St Wulfad's Church in Stone on Saturday evening as part of its 250th birthday celebrations (Admission £8.00 show starts at 7:30pm).