T V aerials

awatsonbcp

Featured Posts

Hi NMP21

Does having a quality high gain aerial like this get rid of the need to have the aerial on along pole ?

Rgds

Les

Here it is Les.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT45.html

I know little of these things but I'll bet that it needs a decent length pole, especially in a poor reception area. It's a big beast though, 1200mm long, 2.4kg weight. And that's the smaller 45 version that nmptwentyone advocates. The supplier recommends a 50mm dia. pole, which is quite a thick item but presumably it has to be to take the size and weight.

I'm looking for the right aerial too but as I'm not a liveaboard and use the boat only for cruising, it has to be something that it is very simple to erect and take down as I'd be doing it nearly every night when on the boat. I don't think that a permanent aerial, like one of those flying saucers on a mounting low enough for cruising without the need to demount, would suffice to deliver decent reception, as other readers confirm. Pity because a permanent omni directional aerial is clearly the best answer in theory as it saves all the hassle of regularly having to set it up but it looks like I'll need a directional aerial on a pole that needs to be erected regularly. So it's a matter of finding the best pole mount to facilitate ease of frequent setting up and taking down.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Hi NMP21

Does having a quality high gain aerial like this get rid of the need to have the aerial on along pole ?

Rgds

Les

depends on the area your in. mines on a 10ft pole and to be honest i wouldnt want it any lower cos its a biggen! ive a feeling his is going to become a popular subject in the year to come before the digital switch over. if your in a good signal area then these leisure omnidirecional and nice little compact lightweight thing will be fine. if your not, like me then you have o go down the same route as the brick dwellers. wide band with a booster up a pole!

Here it is Les.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT45.html

I know little of these things but I'll bet that it needs a decent length pole, especially in a poor reception area. It's a big beast though, 1200mm long, 2.4kg weight. And that's the smaller 45 version that nmptwentyone advocates. The supplier recommends a 50mm dia. pole, which is quite a thick item but presumably it has to be to take the size and weight.

I'm looking for the right aerial too but as I'm not a liveaboard and use the boat only for cruising, it has to be something that it is very simple to erect and take down as I'd be doing it nearly every night when on the boat. I don't think that a permanent aerial, like one of those flying saucers on a mounting low enough for cruising without the need to demount, would suffice to deliver decent reception, as other readers confirm. Pity because a permanent omni directional aerial is clearly the best answer in theory as it saves all the hassle of regularly having to set it up but it looks like I'll need a directional aerial on a pole that needs to be erected regularly. So it's a matter of finding the best pole mount to facilitate ease of frequent setting up and taking down.

regards

Steve

even though ive got the larger dat75 as for setting up its pretty quick. all i do is bolt the rear fins back on, mount it back on the pole and lift it onto a mount i made for it on top of the boat. twist the whole thing round so it points the right direction. its pretty quick. but definatly go for the smaller dat45. could post a picture of the mount i made if anyone is interested. made 3 so far.