Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation

SYBoater

Featured Posts

Is it me or does the Sheffield & SY Navigation seem to just exist; there doesn't ever seem to be much activity on it apart from the odd freighter and canal boat rally from Strawberry Island Boat Club. In my opinion, this section of waterway is beautiful (apart from the bit going through Rotherham) from Victoria Quays in Sheffield back along through a more industrial part until you get to Swinton and Waddington's Boat Yard then the canal gets really quite picturesque at the bottom half of Mexborough and Sprotbrough where there are good quality moorings and a nice pub (although the food is just 'pub chain' food quality the surroundings and drinks on offer are excellent) then on to Doncaster and eventually meeting up with the Stainforth & Keadby Canal.

I think this section of canal is overlooked somewhat and quite a hidden gem that should be explored more often.

Is it just me that shares this opinion?

Rob :lol:

Is it me or does the Sheffield & SY Navigation seem to just exist; there doesn't ever seem to be much activity on it

There is currently a freight contract to transport a large quantity of stone which means a lot of extra traffic around the Doncaster - Sprotborough area for about 20 weeks. Normal service will be resumed afterwards, I expect.

At the moment, the navigation is closed at Holme Lock between Rotherham and Tinsley due to "failed sluices". BW will be issuing an update on Thursday.

There is currently a freight contract to transport a large quantity of stone which means a lot of extra traffic around the Doncaster - Sprotborough area for about 20 weeks. Normal service will be resumed afterwards, I expect.

At the moment, the navigation is closed at Holme Lock between Rotherham and Tinsley due to "failed sluices". BW will be issuing an update on Thursday.

Any idea where the stone is going and if there any more plans for freight usage on the Sheffield & SY. Rather it be used for freight than nothing at all!