Morco- Warning and question

The Drunken Duck

Featured Posts

To comply with current regulations I'm told I must have a room sealed gas water heater fitted; if I fit one at all on my new N/b. That seems to limit the fitting to a Morco F-11E , cost with flue £535, that's without any inverter cost

Warning

This water heater was designed for domestic properties and requires 230v to operate. Therefore an inverter must be installed. Some chandlers are selling these water heaters without advising customers that they need to have an inverter.

My Question

The piezo ignitioned Morco D61B , cost with flue £234, can still be installed if it is replacing a similar unit in an older boat.

I logically think if this D61B unit is unsafe to install in a new boat then it must also be unsafe to install in an older boat. Or is it only people in older boats who are allowed to be endangered :huh:

I must obviously be wrong. Therefore can someone tell me why the piezo ignitioned lower price unit is ok for use in older boats but not for new boats? The regulations seem to be just adding unnecessary costs of approx £300, when building my new boat.

There is alot of confusion surrounding Morco units. I too thought that the non-sealed version could not be fitted in a new boat. Then I read that it was OK to fit one, but that CORGI fitters would not fit them, so it is something of a catch 22. Personally I think it is utter nonsense that we are allowed to have solid fuel burners that consume oxygen constantly (when lit) from our living area, and yet a Morco which consumes much less oxygen gets frowned upon.

To comply with current regulations I'm told I must have a room sealed gas water heater fitted; if I fit one at all on my new N/b. That seems to limit the fitting to a Morco F-11E , cost with flue £535, that's without any inverter cost

Warning

This water heater was designed for domestic properties and requires 230v to operate. Therefore an inverter must be installed. Some chandlers are selling these water heaters without advising customers that they need to have an inverter.

My Question

The piezo ignitioned Morco D61B , cost with flue £234, can still be installed if it is replacing a similar unit in an older boat.

I logically think if this D61B unit is unsafe to install in a new boat then it must also be unsafe to install in an older boat. Or is it only people in older boats who are allowed to be endangered :huh:

I must obviously be wrong. Therefore can someone tell me why the piezo ignitioned lower price unit is ok for use in older boats but not for new boats? The regulations seem to be just adding unnecessary costs of approx £300, when building my new boat.

I believe it's to do with the fact that boats built since the RCD became effective must comply as such. Boats built before the RCD came into being are governed by the BSS as regards the fitting of gas appliances, that is, if a non room-sealed gas water heater was fitted originally then it can be replaced like for like as long as it complies with the BSS regulations. Special care must be exercised on a petrol fueled boat.

Rob at the BSS office will be able to shed more light on this.

Edited by BigRoj

I believe it's to do with the fact that boats built since the RCD became effective must comply as such. Boats built before the RCD came into being are governed by the BSS as regards the fitting of gas appliances, that is, if a non room-sealed gas water heater was fitted originally then it can be replaced like for like as long as it complies with the BSS regulations. Special care must be exercised on a petrol fueled boat.

Rob at the BSS office will be able to shed more light on this.

Thanks for that info Roj.

It would be logical to think that whether the D61B is safe or unsafe to use on a N/b, should be a fact. Therefore it's use should apply to RCD, BSS or any other set of safety regulations. ???????

There is alot of confusion surrounding Morco units. I too thought that the non-sealed version could not be fitted in a new boat. Then I read that it was OK to fit one, but that CORGI fitters would not fit them, so it is something of a catch 22. Personally I think it is utter nonsense that we are allowed to have solid fuel burners that consume oxygen constantly (when lit) from our living area, and yet a Morco which consumes much less oxygen gets frowned upon.

Its not that Corgi Fitters won't fit them - Our rules don't allow us to fit ANY new non-roomed sealed appliances on a boat except a cooking appliance. We can however fix your old one as long as parts are available.

I am so fed-up with having to comply with stupid regulations I am not going to renew my LPG qualifications when they expire. :huh:

.................Our rules don't allow us to fit ANY new non-roomed sealed appliances on a boat except a cooking appliance. ..........................

If I make a cuppa with the water from the Morco does it become a cooking appliance ? :D

or perhaps make a 'Pot Noodle' :huh:

Edited by The Drunken Duck