Another toilet question

Chickadee

Featured Posts

Hi me again. :lol: We have a porta pottie on the boat that we are buying. Its a bit tired so we have been looking at other options. I spotted the thetford offer with the extra cassette and blue for £260. I wondered if this toilet needs to be plumbed in in a permenant position? We will want to redo the bathroom at some point just not right now, when we do we will probably change the layout of the bathroom. We dont know if we should be going for this toilet or buying another porta pottie to tide us over till we can re do the bathroom. We also have the problem of 4 people being on the boat for a week to take the boat home. Will the porta potti cope or will we be emptying it every day. For the rest of the time there will be only two of us living board.Hope this all makes sense, i really didnt sleep well last night (not from worrying about toilets!) so i'm probably making little sense.Thank you! :Dah how did i post two!? How do i get rid of one? Or does a mod need to do it?

Hi me again. :) We have a porta pottie on the boat that we are buying. Its a bit tired so we have been looking at other options. I spotted the thetford offer with the extra cassette and blue for £260. I wondered if this toilet needs to be plumbed in in a permenant position? We will want to redo the bathroom at some point just not right now, when we do we will probably change the layout of the bathroom. We dont know if we should be going for this toilet or buying another porta pottie to tide us over till we can re do the bathroom. We also have the problem of 4 people being on the boat for a week to take the boat home. Will the porta potti cope or will we be emptying it every day. For the rest of the time there will be only two of us living board.Hope this all makes sense, i really didnt sleep well last night (not from worrying about toilets!) so i'm probably making little sense.Thank you! :Dah how did i post two!? How do i get rid of one? Or does a mod need to do it?

Hi Chickadee,

I believe that Thetford make 2 versions of their cassette toilet - one with electric / water flush (which I have) and another without. The cassette just slides in underneath though - if you didn't plumb the flush in (or had the version without the electric flush), the loo would be completely portable. Even plumbed in, it really wouldn't be a big job to disconnect (12v wiring connection, and a water inlet hose).

As for capacity, how quickly it fills depends entirely upon how often you use it. I know that sounds obvious, but it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. Make the men pee in the hedge, and it will last longer :lol: I have 2 cassettes for my thetford loo - if I was on the boat all the time, I guess I might get through 1 - 1.5 cassettes per week. In practice though, they last longer as I tend to go out to the pub / see friends / wherever. With my parents on board cruising (so 3x adults) we get through almost 1 cassette per day.

Emptying really isn't a big deal though, as the cassettes are completely sealed so you can just pop them in the car if you can't get to an Elsan point by boat to empty them.

Hope this helps,

Becky