Repairing paint chips

andy b

Featured Posts

Hi All

Its touch up time (well nearly). Kids have thrown stones at our NB resulting in a couple of chips which have started to rust (only just spotted em). My question is, how do I touch up 7 coats of paint and get a good finish, 7 coats is quite deep (in paint thicknesses). Any ideas welcome.

Many thanks

Depends if you more conserned at preventing rust, or the look of the boat.

- If its large enought to both i would just clean back to steel as best i could, and splodge paint on, possably some primer first even.

- If you wanted do a full job, you can. Rub it all down in the area, repaint with several layers, and smooth/feather it into the existing paint.

Alternativly, just get a bit of grease and wipe it onto rust, on the assumption that you will be repainting again one day anyway.

Daniel

Hi All

Its touch up time (well nearly). Kids have thrown stones at our NB resulting in a couple of chips which have started to rust (only just spotted em). My question is, how do I touch up 7 coats of paint and get a good finish, 7 coats is quite deep (in paint thicknesses). Any ideas welcome.

Many thanks

Build up the level using primer and undercoat over a period of a few days . Once the repair patch is proud of the surrounding area rub down the repair and the immediate area around it. Gloss over it with fairly thin coats until the colour is good. Leave it four or five weeks ( I`m assuming it`s a synthetic enamel) and then lightly flat it with 1000 grit Wet and Dry followed by 2000. Polish it with Farecla G3 then wax it. It will be an almost invisible mend, completely so if you`re lucky and you haven`t been ham fisted. On the other hand you could always just treat it like a stone chip on a car with primer , undercoat ( if the colour needs it ) and gloss just dotted into the chip. No where near as good but a damn sight easier , quicker and , perhaps given the state of the world , more practical.

Cheers

Phil

Surely you can find some more areas with dammage first, as Phil's method whilst "bang on" is best undertaken when you've got a few more detals to hit, otherwise you could be touching up paint for ever!

Quite right. We tell our customers to accumulate damage during the"season" and then have a repairing blitz oncea year - unles the damage is particularly bad.In the meantime just make sure the rust doesn`t start to get hold with something temporary.

Cheers

Phil

Build up the level using primer and undercoat over a period of a few days . Once the repair patch is proud of the surrounding area rub down the repair and the immediate area around it. Gloss over it with fairly thin coats until the colour is good. Leave it four or five weeks ( I`m assuming it`s a synthetic enamel) and then lightly flat it with 1000 grit Wet and Dry followed by 2000. Polish it with Farecla G3 then wax it. It will be an almost invisible mend, completely so if you`re lucky and you haven`t been ham fisted. On the other hand you could always just treat it like a stone chip on a car with primer , undercoat ( if the colour needs it ) and gloss just dotted into the chip. No where near as good but a damn sight easier , quicker and , perhaps given the state of the world , more practical.

Cheers

Phil

Think I gave slightly wrong impression about the size of the 'chips'. Im talking 5p size (they throw big stones sometimes). Ive got Farecla from the original paint job, will try the 'proper'method as Phil suggests. If a jobs worth doin.........Many thanks to all