Lock design - Stort Navigation

stort_mark

Featured Posts

I have seen a photograph in a book of Spellbrook Lock on the Stort in which the lock walls were sloping banks (aren't there some locks like that on the K&A?) with vertical wooden posts along the lock. How many other locks on the Stort had this arrangement? When were they changed to the conventional style?

Also, the locks on the Stort are basically 86'6" X 13'6" (or thereabouts) but one - Parndon Mill Lock - is 94'6" long.....anyone know why? Apart from the obvious answer to allow longer boats through, that is :wub:

I believe all the Stort locks were originally turf sided.

I know the photo you are referring to of Spellbrook Lock.

It was taken in 1905.

I also have a picture of South Mill Lock as a turf sided lock around the same date.

The lock sides were infilled in the early 20th Century.

I think Sheering Mill Lock was the last to be upgraded in 1924.

The longest lock and exception is Burnt Mill at 94'8".

The others are all 86'0" (Latton, Harlow) to 88'0" (Lower Lock, Roydon).

I've no idea why the one lock is a different length - it may have had something to

do with a local trade, transporting from the old station goods yards at Burnt Mill to a local factory (i.e. the boiler makers)

on a purpose built barge or pontoon.

Incidentally, the strange width of the locks (13'3" to 13'6"), which isn't wide enough for a pair abreast, is a continuation of the original size of the Upper Lee Locks, which were subsequently widened.

I have seen a photograph in a book of Spellbrook Lock on the Stort in which the lock walls were sloping banks (aren't there some locks like that on the K&A?) with vertical wooden posts along the lock. How many other locks on the Stort had this arrangement? When were they changed to the conventional style?

Also, the locks on the Stort are basically 86'6" X 13'6" (or thereabouts) but one - Parndon Mill Lock - is 94'6" long.....anyone know why? Apart from the obvious answer to allow longer boats through, that is :wub:

Edited by NB Willawaw

I believe all the Stort locks were originally turf sided.

I know the photo you are referring to of Spellbrook Lock.

It was taken in 1905.

That's the one. I wandered down again today to have another look at it now. The 'gap' would seem to have been filled in with concrete. Same at Pig Lane as well. Would be nice to see one or two restored.

I also have a picture of South Mill Lock as a turf sided lock around the same date.

The lock sides were infilled in the early 20th Century.

I think Sheering Mill Lock was the last to be upgraded in 1924.

I note that the entire canal was shut for a while in 1924...to upgrade all the locks perhaps.

The longest lock and exception is Burnt Mill at 94'8".

The others are all 86'0" (Latton, Harlow) to 88'0" (Lower Lock, Roydon).

I've no idea why the one lock is a different length - it may have had something to

do with a local trade, transporting from the old station goods yards at Burnt Mill to a local factory (i.e. the boiler makers)

on a purpose built barge or pontoon.

Incidentally, the strange width of the locks (13'3" to 13'6"), which isn't wide enough for a pair abreast, is a continuation of the original size of the Upper Lee Locks, which were subsequently widened.

Any idea about the last commercial usage. 1950s? 1960s?

Brick Lock collapsed in April 1909, trapping all the Stort barges above it.

It wasn't re-opened until the October, by which time all the trade had gone.

The Stort was given to the Lee Conservancy Board by Sir Walter Gilbey.

http://www.stortfordhistory.co.uk/guide2/walter_gilbey.html

The board commenced improvement works in 1912. This was halted by WW1 and the navigation

didn't open again until July 4th 1924.

Special steel lighters were used until 1945 when the last timber was carried.

Trade was very sporadic after that and the last commercial cargo carried was a cargo of stone

to repair the mill pool at Hallingbury Mill in 1972.

That's the one. I wandered down again today to have another look at it now. The 'gap' would seem to have been filled in with concrete. Same at Pig Lane as well. Would be nice to see one or two restored.

I note that the entire canal was shut for a while in 1924...to upgrade all the locks perhaps.

Any idea about the last commercial usage. 1950s? 1960s?

Edited by NB Willawaw

You have the same book!

Gilbey was from the family that owned the gin company. I'm trying to get more information than on the (excellent) Stortford history website. Unfortunately, the Stort is not covered in Hadfield's Canals of South and South East England nor the Canals of the East Midlands. I've had to order a copy of the Canals of Eastern England (from a bookshop in Australia). Hope that will provide more bakground.

There was a Lea and Stort Rivers Society but can't find any trace of it now, and the Stort Boat Club doesn't have a web-site. Would be nice to create a Stort Navigation website...maybe a project for 2009....

No I don't think so, but as the information is factual and there are only so many photographs, there

is bound to be a convergence.

I did a lot of research when Willawaw was moored at Harlow.

I have a lot of bit and pieces.

I have also published some photos on the JC forum.

Here are some links to the local cruising clubs (we never joined - far too twee :wub: )

Stort Boat Club

The Rectory

High Road

North Stifford

Grays

Essex

RM16 5UE

Phone: 01375 372733

Lee & Stort Cruising Club

Contact Mr R Langley, Hon Secretary

The Clubhouse

Stanstead Lock

Amwell Lane

Stanstead Abbots

Herts

SG12 8DR

Phone:

01920 870381

01707 646876

No I don't think so, but as the information is factual and there are only so many photographs, there

is bound to be a convergence.

I did a lot of research when Willawaw was moored at Harlow.

I have a lot of bit and pieces.

I have also published some photos on the JC forum.

The photos on JC are interesting. The link to the Francis Frith site was also valuable!