any sparkys near York?Want a job?

philandiz

Featured Posts

Hi. Since moving the wheel house and controls, our Bow thrusters have stopped working. I am looking for anyone near York that might be up for a job. Theyre hydraulic but the problem is certainly electrical....As the whole boat has been ripped out for conversion to livaboard, we dont care if its easier to re wire them rather than try and find the fault....

hope someone can help...

The lack of response to this request must mean that either any 'sparkies' are overburdened and don't need the work or that in common with the rest of the country they are non-existant. If I had a likely candidate within the family I would almost demand that they become a boat electrician as it seems that it is a license to print money. We recently had some fairly basic but extensive electrical work done on our boat - it took us 3 attempts to get it done which nearly ended in total disaster: the first failed to turn up on three occasions despite the fact that each time we had to travel 180 miles to meet him, he then wondered why I didn't use him. The second was very reliable and a bit of a superstar BUT he would only do what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it, which was both far too complicated for our purposes and therefore much too costly. The third really took the biscuit. He arrived in a new very heavily sign written van (alarm bells should have rung then) he seemed to want to talk rather than work and he kept disappearing 'to get bits' and to finish off other jobs. He charged a reasonable day rate but didn't seem to do anything (the boat was already wired - they just needed checking and linking up) and sparks flashed a lot and nothing ever seemed to be finished or work. In the end an engineer and boat safety examiner who was also working on my boat pointed out that he had left the boat live!! and totally unsafe when he had finished. This happened less than 9 months ago and THIS PERSON IS NOW A FULLY QUALIFIED BOAT SAFETY EXAMINER :) SO BEWARE

Edited by PaddingtonBear

The lack of response to this request must mean that either any 'sparkies' are overburdened and don't need the work or that in common with the rest of the country they are non-existant. If I had a likely candidate within the family I would almost demand that they become a boat electrician as it seems that it is a license to print money. We recently had some fairly basic but extensive electrical work done on our boat - it took us 3 attempts to get it done which nearly ended in total disaster: the first failed to turn up on three occasions despite the fact that each time we had to travel 180 miles to meet him, he then wondered why I didn't use him. The second was very reliable and a bit of a superstar BUT he would only do what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it, which was both far too complicated for our purposes and therefore much too costly. The third really took the biscuit. He arrived in a new very heavily sign written van (alarm bells should have rung then) he seemed to want to talk rather than work and he kept disappearing 'to get bits' and to finish off other jobs. He charged a reasonable day rate but didn't seem to do anything (the boat was already wired - they just needed checking and linking up) and sparks flashed a lot and nothing ever seemed to be finished or work. In the end an engineer and boat safety examiner who was also working on my boat pointed out that he had left the boat live!! and totally unsafe when he had finished. This happened less than 9 months ago and THIS PERSON IS NOW A FULLY QUALIFIED BOAT SAFETY EXAMINER :) SO BEWARE

I remember on the river Wey being told by "the locals" that they had 2 blokes locally, one was really good and one was really crap. Most people used the crap one 'cos the good one was too busy!