Taunton/Bridgwater

broadbeans

Featured Posts

Hi all.

We're hoping to move onto the water and are currently looking for a mooring. Does anyone know anything about the feasability of living aboard on the Taunton/Bridgwater Canal? We know it's land-locked but we're a lttle restricted by work and my 6 year old daughter lives in Taunton with her mum, so don't wanna be too far. Bristol Docks apparently have 10 yr wait for residential moorings - (and we can't even join the waiting list until we've bought a boat. How does that make any sense!?)

The research we've done leads us to think that there might well be a lot of people bending the rules a little and living on leisure moorings. Now we don't wanna go getting anyone into trouble but is this the way to do it? Or would you all frown on this sort of thing. We don't want to dodge any fees or taxes, we just want somewhwere to liveaboard!

We're also getting the impression that BW are the enemy. Yes/No? Certainly they've been bugger all help to us and have not seen fit to reply to any of our e-mails.

Lot's o' love

Dan & Jean

:unsure:

I believe there are moorings in Bridgwater dock which is connected to the canal: some people apparently live on boats there but whether it is official or "blind eye" residential I'm not sure. Be aware that the canal is comparitively small so fifty feet is max length and broad beam isn't really on.

If you do more there, please use the canal and encourage others to do so: it's a crying shame that, despite working in Taunton and area on and off for eight years, I have only ever seen one boat move, and that was doing a survey of the canal! It is grossly underused and more traffic would help no end.

Have you thought of making an enquiry about the Grand Western Canal - its not that far south of Taunton and I think its owned by Devon County Council . There are a few boats on there but I dont know the mooring situation.

I would suggest you may get a better response about the Bridgewater & Taunton if you telephone or go into Bw Gloucester office - emails and letters are easily ignored .

Hi. I'm a local (Exeter) and have boated and used both the Grand Western and the Bridgwater canal, so I will tell you what I know so far .....

The Grand Western Canal is a land-locked canal and runs from Tiverton almost as far as Wellington, about 14 miles total. It is basically a country park. Very very pretty and peaceful. There are no locks but there are a few swing bridges. There are no (official) residential moorings on the canal. You could contact Pat and Ray (their son runs the horse-drawn barge company) at www.middevonhireboats.co.uk. I've hired from them (they are a lovely couple). I believe they only have 2 boats for hire, but lovely boats.

Bridgwater canal is about the same length and also land-locked, but it is also very pretty and well used and it has a few locks and also bridges. At Bridgwater Docks (surprisingly nice!) there are residential moorings available for cruisers, narrowboats and widebeams - quite a few people living on boats there, might be worth wandering around and having a chat with people. You could contact Tom Green who runs (or ran - don't know if he still does) the PeggottyTom cruises along the canal and also is involved in building and I think has one widebeam still for sale. he lives on a widebeam at the Docks Basin and is an absolute mine of information. His mobile no was 07778750974 - you could try it.

Thanks all! That's been very helpful.

We had been told that the Great Western was a non-starter but perhaps we'll investigate further. We sought out Mr Green who really was a massive help and has moved our search on leaps and bounds. We spent acouple of hours with him and came out inspired and more determined than ever to make this work.

Thanks again, hopefully we'll see you on the water sometime soon :clapping:

Dan&Jean