Fitting out contract needed, please.

Bojangles

Featured Posts

Reading and feeling for the turmoil Pav is going thru I'm getting very nervous myself.

I paid £500 deposit on a hull, the remainder to paid on completion. The hull is now ready and I just need to inspect and pay etc. Seems no problems there.

To give myself some security I 've had the hull built by one builder and then moving our hull to another firm to fit out.

The fitters out have a good reputation etc and we have discussed stage payments and I was going ahead on just our verbal agreements and written estimate/costings etc. But now I'm thinking I'd be happier with a written contract.

I've looked at the BMF and CBA contracts but they only seem to apply to a full build ie, hull and fit out. However I may have it wrong as I'm not a legally trained. Please advise me.

Is there any contracts available applicable to just fitting out a hull?

Could you not take one, remove the bits about the build, and agree on a re-worded "fit out only" contract?

I would have thought that as long as you both sign and it's witnessed then it would still be legally binding? (I await correction ... :D ) I'm sure Gary will have some words of wisdom.

There isn't that I know of a specif contract for this I would assume since they must do a lot of this they will have some form of contract to do this already?

In the first instance I would outline how you envisage this is going to work and ask them to provide a specimen contract for you to approve in the first instance before you do all the hard work.

If you discuss what you want with a professional boat builder/fitter, of course you can arrange a contract, but unless you put it safe and secure somewhere away from the canal on land, your only other option is a boat yard, and in my opinion the endless juggling of events necessary to run a yard properly, can make the contract less clear than you might imagine,this is as the yard has to remain secure to run your project allong with others.

Is it in the water yet, If not, can you find an amenable farmer?