Allbutts (Derby)

Bob Chamberlain

Featured Posts

Anyone have any info re an old boatbuilders called Allbutts of Derby?  Not 100% sure of the spelling!  I had a narrow beam 30' wooden cruiser back in the 1980's.  Centre cockpit with slide back solid covers each side, high bow with the forward cabin there, then full head height all the way to the stern.  A large wooden bracket spaced away from the transom for the outboard to bolt onto.  When we bought it in the early 1980's, it was called Denby Five and needed doing up.  We sorted it all out and re-painted it and re-named it 'Swallow'. We moored at Redhill Marina.  On our first trip out a lock keeper was astounded when he saw it - turned out it was originally called Swallow and was painted in the same scheme we repainted it in!  Blue hull, cream upperworks with red rubbing strakes.

I learned that it started life as a hire boat (perhaps?) and that Allbutts only built six of that design.  Back in the 1980's I heard that there was one other still afloat and one sort of abandoned.  We sold it to my pal in 1990 (possibly 1989).

We heard that it went to a marina in Nottingham but have lost track of it - would be lovely to find out if she's still afloat and being used, so if anyone here has any information about it I'd be very interested to hear.

Evening Bob

My Dad had an Allbutt boat, Peel Castle, in 1965-6. It was moored at Nantwich, as was another Allbutt, Kimrick (not sure of date). While we were moored at Nantwich yet another Allbutt owner came past and stopped to talk....no idea who that was. So, that's three Allbutt boats, but I would be surprised if any were still afloat. I do hope that you find Swallow!

Allbutt was from Derby, made wooden furniture and branched out into boats, I gather.

Best wishes 

Joseph