Foulridge to Doncaster achieved

Featured Posts

Hi All

Mission accomplished, landed in Doncaster on day 7. I have added to the diary but it hasnt been posted for some reason. Anyway heres the summary of the trip.

Whilst moored up at bank newton locks on day one I met up with Judy on NB Snapdragon. We tied the boats together to get through Skipton swing bridges and locks. It really worked we made good time and everyone seemd surprised to see two boats together. Even the hire boat idiot who tried to force his way through a gap he would never achieve. Anyway he had fun trying to get away from the bank...not.

We had a few traumas along the way. Judy's boat developed a fuel leak, we fixed that. My alternator belt snapped, fixed that. Leeds Office lock wouldnt open, we had to spend the night in Leeds city centre. No problems though it was really quiet. It was great fun watching everyone go to work next morning!!!

We had a nightmare in the Bingley 5 rise locks. half way down Judy's boat started tilting over towards me and I mean tilt. We screamed at Barry (MBE) the lock keeper and he went into action. The boat popped back to upright and all was OK again. Barry told us to sound our horn if we had a problem to which Judy replied..........."I havent got a horn".

It was a bit daunting coming out of Leeds onto the river but to be honest I prefer the river to the canal. the only problem is when the large boats come past at 5.30am to give you an early morning wake up call. The big electric locks were a breeze and the boat goes a lot faster!!! (boys with toys).

Judy left me at Castleford and it was eerie on my own especially in the middle of a bleeding great river. I met up with Doreen at Pollington for the trip into Doncaster. As an example of how great boat people are, listen to this. I was going into the locks at Pollington and there were two people sat watching. As I went into the lock the guy (George) shouted that he would work the lock for me. As he did this I was talking to his wife(Elaine) who was still sat on the bank. After 5 minutes my trip was explained and the fact I was meeting Doreen somewhere. Elaine then said "Why dont you meet her here, you can park her car on our permanant mooring for the rest of your trip". We are in your debt Elaine and George, thanks again.

We moored up in BarnbyDun, Doncaster for a few nights and it was really good, quiet, good facilities, just make sure you go and eat in the pubs before 8pm or its a takeaway.

I met loads of great people along the way but to be honest I wouldnt do a long cruise on my own again. Luckily Doreen took the week off work and we are going back together. We are presently moored in the armouries at Leeds and its really good. Night out in Leeds tonight, Armoury visit tommorrow then off we jolly well go.

Pubwise I can reccommend the Brown Cow in Bingley and the Railway pub at Rodley. Good food and really nice places. The weather has been great, only one afternoons rain. Its been shorts and bikinis all the way back.

BW staff were great apart from one who told us the Leeds locks were shut on Sundays!!! We went anyway and they were all open.

Time for a shower and a Leeds night out so I will sign off.

Take care all

Dave