Day 1,2,3 and plan F or is it G?

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone I am now on my way wow what an experience. Her we go as to whats been happening.

Day 1.

Left Foulridge at 08.30 and got as far as Bank Newton Locks. Must admit I visited a lovely old church on the way near bridgr 160. Ive been meaning to see it for ages and......................it was locked!!!!!!!! Anyway went round the grounds and said a prayer for the family and me boat!

When I got to Greenberfield locks I put on my safety head and waited for another boat rather than go down on my own. Still on plan A. An hour later this tug, barge or whatever it was came the other way to me. The lock was with me so one of the crew came and asked me if I was going down. I told him I would if he gave me a hand and the look he gave me said "Are you on this planet or what". Anyway after much chat and banter he persuaded me to let him show me how to do the locks on my own. After brilliant instruction and no help from 3 blokes watching me I did the lock on my own. Dare I say it, it was easy.

At the next locks I was full of confidence and had no problem, this was due to the fact the lock walking society???? all 30 of them wanted to help me. So Greenberfield was conquered.

On the way to Bank Newton I saw a Hire boat and a brand new design of tiller. It sort of leans back from the swan neck and the guy on the back of the boat has to stand on a box to reach the tiller arm. i was just about to ask the obvious question when I was told "not to bother, it wasnt funny and the boat nearly sank". I just went past believing discretion to be the better part of valour.

On arrival at bank newton locks the plan was to moor up for the night if I could find a space. As I came round the last bend I saw that the locks were............empty, not one boat. So moored up, checked the phone signal to phone the good lady..............no signal. Switched on the TV...............no signal. At that point the only thing to do was open a beer put the Brave Heart DVD on and fall asleep half way through it!

That was day 1. Havent got time to do day 2 and 3 but will post tommorrow night. Will tell you all about the other boat paired up with me nearly going over in the Bingley five rise!

Take care

Happy cruising

Dave