DeckBoard sound insulation

zimmer4me

Featured Posts

Merry Xmas all...

Just wondered if anyone knows or can suggest a material to adhere to the underside of my "cruiser" deckboards to reduce the engine noise.

I have seen some very expensive fireproof stuff in the chandlery but I dont feel like parting with my hard earn cash.( I seem to recall it was£25 a squard foot or some such thing)

regards

JK

Zim.

The commercial stuff is very expensive, my boat is a traditional but I linned my engine enclosure with carpet underlay, the rubber type with the multiple pyramid type of texture.

It is very effective, whatever you use it needs to have plenty of 'mass' to deaden vibration and a surface texture that absorbs rather than reflects the sound waves.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi JK,

I got some sound-proofing sheets from a Vetus agent and that made all the difference. The sheets are self-adhesive and cost about £25/ m². I got 5 sheets and that did the whole engine space of my cruiser stern boat. If you want to go half way with the job, just line the "roof" (deckhead) of the engine space.

As a by the by, a friend of mine who also has an Isuzu engine said while we were alongside each other that my engine had stopped because his engine was apparently noisier than mine.

It's years ago now but still going strong, I used impact adhesive, Evo-stick or similar, rubber side outwards. If it is going under the cruiser deck getting occsionally damp perhaps a few screwed battens over it, or perhaps a number of screws and repair / muguard washers to be safe.

Chris brought up the fire risk issue. I doubt if there is any greater risk than the painted wood surface that was there before.

John Squeers

I've just looked int he BSS, and can't find anything that says the engine bay must be lined with non-flammable material!

I would have thought carpet underlay (like carpet and sofas) would be treated with fire-resistant chemicals. Like John says, shouldn't be much worse than the wood - apart from toxicity of fumes.

James

The original thread was for soundproofing material, the mechanical requirements are totally different.

1. To absorb the high frequency sound waves and prevent them being reflected.

2. Most important to prevent low frequequency resonation and stop the boards acting as a diaphram which will re-transmit a vibration.

The material must have a 'wooley' texture for the high frequency and must have maximum 'dead mass' to absorb the low frequency.

James.

Acoustic tiles will control the reflection of sound from a surface, going some way to preventing echoes and distortion as may be desirable in a schoolroom or concert theatre.

An acoustic barrier is a different thing, aiming to revent soundwaves passing through a wall or floor.