Manchester Ship Canal

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

If you are thinking of venturing on to the Manchester Ship Canal, your first approach now should be to Huw Jones at Eastham. The previous contact, Colin Chambers, has apparently left the company.

Huw is on 0151 327 2038. The old number which was Colin's will also route through to Huw's office but it it took me several attempts to get through on it. Huw's email address is Huw.Jones@shipcanal.co.uk (I don't know if the Capital Letters are required or optional)

Huw is very helpful and can email you all the paperwork in a useful induction pack which includes the application forms, sketch maps, Ts&Cs for pleasure boats, and the full list of approved surveyors who can issue the required "certificate of seaworthiness".

I received my pack yesterday - and immediately queried with Huw whether the stated requirement for £300,000,000 of insurance is a misprint; he tells me that he thinks it is (and I sure hope so)

• 3 months later...

Some of the other contact details also need updating.

To arrange passage through either the bottom lock at Ellesmere Port, or the lock at Weston Marsh, you still need to contact BW on 01606 723800 (no change).

However to get the swing-bridge across the lock at Ellesmere Port opened, which is owned and operated by the Council, you need to contact Rob Taylor on 07799 658814.

Also note that the phone number for Eastham VTS is now 0151 327 4638 (although they prefer to use VHF channel 14 instead.