Oxford Solo

matt

Featured Posts

We're halfway up the Oxford and I'm planning to go a bit further on my own (my partner is away for a week).

However the locks don't (appear) to have any tie-up points.

Also, some of the lift bridges appear to need someone to sit on them to keep them open.

Has anyone any advice/experience on this canal?

Matt.

We're halfway up the Oxford and I'm planning to go a bit further on my own (my partner is away for a week).

However the locks don't (appear) to have any tie-up points.

Also, some of the lift bridges appear to need someone to sit on them to keep them open.

Has anyone any advice/experience on this canal?

Matt.

28004[/snapback]

What you need is a "Banbury Stick" (or at least a modern version of one), which is basicaly a stout pole a little under 6ft long. This is used to hold the lift bridge up by wedging it betwen the bridge cill and the underside of the bridge after you have lifted it up from the Towpath side. This should give sufficient clearance for you to take your boat through. I have done the Southern Oxford single handed several times, and in reality have only had to operate lift bridges without assistance on about three occassions. If there isn't another boat around, there is usually a walker or runner quite willing to hold the bridge open for you if you ask.

David, what about the lack of tie-up points on the locks?

28373[/snapback]

Yes Quite few do not have a bollard so you have to use the ladder hand rail (even if BW do frown upon this practice) . You just have to be a bit gentle with the filling and emptying to prevent any sudden movement.