Best pub route from Hillmorton

Tullz

Featured Posts

Hi guys

We're pickin up our narrowboat from Hillmorton at Easter for a week and as yet we haven't decided on a route.

As it seems to be on several, which would be the best to take for eatin n drinkin (pubs, restaurants, farmers markets, good foodie places)?

And within staggerin distance of the boat.

We are a crew of four teenagers (15 & 16) and four big kids (47 -49ish)

Any suggestions?

Thanks very grand

Tullz

Hi guys

We're pickin up our narrowboat from Hillmorton at Easter for a week and as yet we haven't decided on a route.

As it seems to be on several, which would be the best to take for eatin n drinkin (pubs, restaurants, farmers markets, good foodie places)?

And within staggerin distance of the boat.

We are a crew of four teenagers (15 & 16) and four big kids (47 -49ish)

Any suggestions?

Thanks very grand

Tullz

Hi I guess you are picking up a Challenge boat from the Blue Haven Marina. I would suggest you follow the Oxford Canal south to Braunston, (Mill House by the canal and several in the village). Then south to Napton Junction and along the GU towards Warwick. Every village has at least two pubs and you will have the novelty of going through the only staircase lock on the GU. When you get to Warwick there are several paces of amusement. Ten pin Bowling cinemas etc plus stacks of pubs not forgetting the castle.

Enjoy your break.

Tony

Hi I guess you are picking up a Challenge boat from the Blue Haven Marina. I would suggest you follow the Oxford Canal south to Braunston, (Mill House by the canal and several in the village). Then south to Napton Junction and along the GU towards Warwick. Every village has at least two pubs and you will have the novelty of going through the only staircase lock on the GU. When you get to Warwick there are several paces of amusement. Ten pin Bowling cinemas etc plus stacks of pubs not forgetting the castle.

Enjoy your break.

Tony

Ta Tony

Actually our boat is from Granthams Bridge Boat Services.

Will see what other family think, but they do have a place in Warwick. The staircase lock is a draw, keepin the kids out of mischief if it's fine, bit of a bugger for the older ones, cos we'll have to do it if it's cold wet and miserable :rolleyes:

Tullz

As an alternative try and moor overnight at Braunston - either by Butchers Bridge (lots to look at) or half way up the locks (handy for the canal shop and Admiral Nelson) - you can get any last minute supplies in Braunston - excellent shop and first class butcher - both open on Sunday mornings too.

The best pub in Braunston is the Plough - about five minutes walk up a tarmac path from Butchers Bridge. The second best is the Admiral Nelson - where the food is surprisingly excellent.

Then go through Braunston Tunnel to Norton Junction and turn left up the Leicester arm and ascend Watford Flight - you need to enter the flight before 2.30 pm.

There is a first class restaurant ('Edwards') at Crick wharf just beyond the far end of Crick Tunnel.

Then make for Welford where you will find the Warfehouse pub (formerly the George) at the end of the arm.

After Welford you can easily reach Foxton in a day where there is a choice of pubs including the new BW complex which isn't too bad now that its been fettled in. There are also two pubs in the village and another by the canal - the last run by Tony Matts of Foxton Boat Services.

If you have an energetic crew it is perfectly possible to get to Market Harborough (magnificent Italian Restaurant in the basin) and then return to Hillmorton all within a week. Harborough is really good for shopping but the Supermarkets are on the other side of town.

We have done the trip several times . . .

As an alternative try and moor overnight at Braunston - either by Butchers Bridge (lots to look at) or half way up the locks (handy for the canal shop and Admiral Nelson) - you can get any last minute supplies in Braunston - excellent shop and first class butcher - both open on Sunday mornings too.

The best pub in Braunston is the Plough - about five minutes walk up a tarmac path from Butchers Bridge. The second best is the Admiral Nelson - where the food is surprisingly excellent.

Then go through Braunston Tunnel to Norton Junction and turn left up the Leicester arm and ascend Watford Flight - you need to enter the flight before 2.30 pm.

There is a first class restaurant ('Edwards') at Crick wharf just beyond the far end of Crick Tunnel.

Then make for Welford where you will find the Warfehouse pub (formerly the George) at the end of the arm.

After Welford you can easily reach Foxton in a day where there is a choice of pubs including the new BW complex which isn't too bad now that its been fettled in. There are also two pubs in the village and another by the canal - the last run by Tony Matts of Foxton Boat Services.

If you have an energetic crew it is perfectly possible to get to Market Harborough (magnificent Italian Restaurant in the basin) and then return to Hillmorton all within a week. Harborough is really good for shopping but the Supermarkets are on the other side of town.

We have done the trip several times . . .

Sounds like you know the area well, Graham.

This route seems good to me, I'll inform my shipmates.

If we do head this way, will you and your good lady be in the area?

If you are would you like to join us for a pint or too?

Had a quick peek at your website, and it looks like a good source of info as me and BOGG (Big Old Grumpy Git) are thinking of takin a gap year when sprogs are fully fledged to trundle around the rivers and canals of either the uk or maybe France.

Once again guys, thanks for your comments and advice

Tullz

The best pub in Braunston is the Plough - about five minutes walk up a tarmac path from Butchers Bridge.

I can recommend the Steak and Ale pie. Watch out for the house Rose, it’s 14% proof!!

The second best is the Admiral Nelson - where the food is surprisingly excellent.

Fisn n Chips are great. Current landlord & lady very friendly. Also a great Fish n Chip shop in the village but not always open.

I can also vouch for Edwards, great food. Also a nice pub in the village that does lovely home cooked food (can't remember the name).

Have had a few good meals in there as well.

How long will it take to get from Hilmorton to Braunston?

We pick the boat up at 2.30ish and would like to stop at Braunston in time for dinner.

Alternatively, how long would it take to get to Market Harborough cruising from 8/9am till 6/7pm?

Ta vey glad

Tullz

Edited by Tullz

How long will it take to get from Hilmorton to Braunston?

We pick the boat up at 2.30ish and would like to stop at Braunston in time for dinner.

You will do it comfortably - allowing for a little time to get used to the boat and slowing right down past the moored craft at Barby and again at Willoughby and on the approach to Braunston, you could still do it in two and a half hours.

Thanks Neil or do you prefer being called Hairy?

:rolleyes:

Tullz

Hi Tullz

From Braunston to Market Harborough is about 14 to 15 hours cruising depending on waits at Watford and Foxton flights - both of which can be a bottle neck - particularly at holiday times.

Leaving Braunston you have six double locks to climb and then Braunston tunnel (allow nearly 30 minutes for the tunnel). At Norton junction turn left onto the Leicester arm and shortly you reach Watford locks. These consist of two single locks followed by a staircase of 4 locks and a further single lock. The passage is not too bad once you get going, but I have had to wait up to 2 hours at the bottom (or top) before getting onto them - they are controlled by lock-keepers at the time of year that you will be going.

Once through Watford locks you have an easy run to Foxton (although you have two tunnels - Crick which is very wet and Husbands Bosworth which is usually dry - to get through as well as long rows off moored boats to pass - particularly at Crick, Yelvertoft and North Kilworth). Foxton Locks - also controlled by lock-keepers will take about an hour to pass through, but again the problem is the possible wait to get on to them. As they are a staircase, you have to wait for ascending boats to clear. Once down Foxton it is about a further two hours to Market Harborough.

In short - Braunston to Market Harborough will take the best part of two days.

Anyway, the canal is too nice to rush (OK so its my local area so I'm biased) and there are several nice pubs to explore: Plough and Admiral Nelson at Braunston; Red Lion and Edwards at Crick; Bridge 61 (run by Tony Matts) at Foxton as well as a number in the village itself. I would also put in a plea for the White Hart at South Kilworth (although it is a 1 mile walk from the road bridge on the canal).

But hey - it's supposed to be a holiday so what's the rush?

Have a great time

Graham

You rambled on:

*snip*

But hey - it's supposed to be a holiday so what's the rush?

Have a great time

Graham

Thanks Graham

My thoughts behind a quick rush to MH is so we can poodle back in a more leisurely fashion, but all this is speculative till I meet up with the other crew members.

Like most plans, they can change within a blink of an eye or more likely in our case a sip of a pint :rolleyes: *hic*

Tullz

• 3 weeks later...

Well only a few hours to go till we're off - 22 restaurtant reviews now completed! All that's left to do is pack!

Thanks very much to everyone who has given me advice, I really do appreciate your kindness and help.

Once again, anyone who sees a 67ft NB weaving down (or is that up?) the GUC - leicester arm giz a wave and if we're moored near a pub, come in and shout 'All hail the beer hamster' and I'll know where ya from :cheers:

Ta very grand

*hugs*