Briefcase Solar Panel Internal Connections

Featured Posts

I have been given a Briefcase solar panel that has suffered a little bit of wiring damage. The damage is around the output lead or more correctly around the small Blue indicator light. That apparently was damaged and has been replaced with a small pee type bulb, similar to a 12 volt panel light. When I placed the unit in the sun the light did not illuminate but when I connected a volt meter I got a reading around 19 volts.. I wonder if anyone has any information on the size/value of the LED or will any LED do? I expected to see it connected across the +ve and -ne cables. but it is in line with -ve, in series with a blocking diode, and forms part of the output lead from the panels this lead would the connect to battery when in use.

The unit is a TPS 936 briefcase. Peak output 13 watts.

Thanks

If the panel charges why bother with the LED? Try the 19v across a 12v battery and see whether any current flows. Your 13w panel should provide about 750mA into a 12v lead acid battery. Not a lot but probably enought to keep the starter battery full and warm.