Yagi antenna

tove

Featured Posts

Has anyone out there any experience of using a yagi antenna/aerial to get a better phone signal? Better still in a position to say how it would compare to using a high gain whip.

Input very much appreciated!

I did use one for a while but TBH it was a bit fiddly to align with the nearest phone mast. I used to use it with a data card inside the laptop and about 5 metres of cable out of the window. I only bothered to get it out of the cupboard if the mag-mount aerial I usually used failed to get a reliable signal. Since I've switched to a MiFi I've had so few places where signal strength on '3' has been an issue that I sold it on eBay.

I guess if you're in a fixed location and your signal strength is very marginal it would make a difference.

You don't say if this is for voice or data. If data, don't assume a better signal will get you a greater data speed. I find they are rarely related. I've had places where the signal strength was quite weak but had excellent data connection and visa versa.

You don't say if this is for voice or data. If data, don't assume a better signal will get you a greater data speed. I find they are rarely related. I've had places where the signal strength was quite weak but had excellent data connection and visa versa.

I did a lot of testing on this a few years ago. Exactly what we found - there is no connection between signal strength and connection speed.