45psi pump vs 3 bar PSV

boots

Featured Posts

Whale produce an in-line pressure switch which is adjustable.

Phil

Yes, Phil is right.

Many fresh water pumps have been plagued with poor quality pressure switches (bear with me) including my Johnson. I was forever sending my pump for repair because of the cr+p Far Eastern switches. I got so sick of it that I installed an external Whale switch. This will definitely solve the problem you have BUT...

The Whale switch has a built in micro switch which back EMF from the pump will burn out very quickly. To avoid this fit a relay, but ensure that the relay has a built in diode or fit one yourself. It is not a difficult job to do, nor is it expensive - probably around £30 for the bits including the actual Whale unit itself. In an earlier post someone mentioned a pressure reduction valve (?). This may well be another solution. I know that my solution does work because I've been using the idea for nearly 2 years now. To reduce back EMF from the pump I also wired a diode across the pump electrical supply too.

Edited by CygnusV

I think you got the answer, but i 'unscrewed' the screw i.e. screwed out of the pump, there was an arrow indicator around the screw. The screw is at the end the water pipe comes in. Sorry for the lack of technical words haha

I had exactly the same problem - 45psi pump, 3 bar prv and a bilge of water.

Fixed it by replacing the pump pressure switch for a lower rated one, 30psi I think, that I found at work.

Very simple replacement, just unplug and re-plug two wires, job done.

Might still have a few switches at work if you need one? They are made by Shurflo, standard size, left over from a bar fonts job we had.