British pathe Film

Max Sinclair

Featured Posts

Canal restoration

A short film showing

Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire.

Young volunteers set about restoring a disused canal.

L/S of an overgrown canal. Various shots of volunteers at work - building bonfires of old branches, chopping down weeds. A small crane is used to lift big bits of debris from the canal. M/S of two women stone bricks. Various shots of volunteers from the Royal Engineers and the R.A.F. (Royal Air Force) laying cement.

A girl is seen dolling out sandwiches - the volunteers only payment for their hard work. M/S of a girl eating a sandwich, looking over a bridge over the canal.

The volunteers are seen lowering a new lock gate into the canal. C/U of the man operating the crane lowering the gate.

A pulley contraption is used to lift buckets of bilge from the bottom of the canal. High angle shot of men on the canal bed filling buckets of bilge. C/U of a boy painting a post. C/U of a bilge bucket on the pulley.

and all organised by David Hutchings

Nice film - left me wondering how often forces personnel got involved in canal restoration?

The Royal Engineers were very helpful to us on the Droitwich, dredging through the town using a fleet of vehicles from Long Marston, and building Lock Gates at their Chepstow unit.I wonder if it was because in the 1940's I shared a mess billet with Harry Everard who became Major General Commanding Western England!

David Hutchings also organised prisoners from Long Lartin who became reliable workers learning to lay bricks. Perhaps C&RT could follow his example, it was Union objection that created difficulties.I only remember David having one problem when one of the lags borrowed the bus to go to a football match. I hope everybody who watches this film will say Hello to David and thank him for his miracle working.You will gather he was my hero.

Edited by Max Sinclair