Klinkers

Keith & Kathy

Featured Posts

Hi one and all.

Wonder if any one can help. Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place (don't you just luv newbies).

I have a problem with my Morso Squirrel solid fuel stove. It's two years old and I've always used Thermalite coal. The problem is it builds up clinker at the base of the chimney and I find it very hard to get it off, hammer and chissel job. My neighbours use the same coal as I in their Morso stove and don't have this build up problem. Why me ? has anyone any ideas please.

:lol:

Hi one and all.

Wonder if any one can help. Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place (don't you just luv newbies).

I have a problem with my Morso Squirrel solid fuel stove. It's two years old and I've always used Thermalite coal. The problem is it builds up clinker at the base of the chimney and I find it very hard to get it off, hammer and chissel job. My neighbours use the same coal as I in their Morso stove and don't have this build up problem. Why me ? has anyone any ideas please.

:lol:

I noted years ago when my parents used a Eagle cooker with steelworks reject coke that if the wind changed and the stove got hotter than normal we would get clinker.

Also in Falklands burning peat found it was quality of the peat and the bank near the house caused more clinkers than bank near Fitsroy river.

Both cases one always tried to shift it while still running and hot if one failed to lift it hot real problem once cool.

My dad would lift small clinker out near every morning one reason why quarry tiled floor was so important. But likely the use of gas coke designed for the blast furnace did not help. Under sized coke could not be used by steel plant so it was sold to employees cheap.

When steel works closed stove was removed and my mother could dust once a week rather than twice a day. Also we could have carpet on kitchen floor without it being full of burn holes. But waist bins became fuller and no cinders for path in winter on the snow.

Must admit burning peat on Falklands was not as bad as coke but more expensive stove likely helped. My son has gone solid fuel but not what I would want again.

However the Russian rockets seem not to explode like American ones so seems there is a place for solid fuel but not in stoves!