Sandblasting a old hull

moggyjo

Featured Posts

We just had a 64 foot sandblasted. The blasting which cost approx 1.5K plus the lift out charge. No idea if you need to do this before overplating. The main problem is finding a yard that will sandblast. Most dont like the mess.

P

Does anyone know how much it would cost to sandblast the hull of a 52ft NB please and would you get it done if it was going to be overplated?

I recently had Zulu Warrior overplated and the boatyard quoted a fixed price for the plating. They grit blasted along the join between the new plating and original steel so that they welding onto clean metal instead of old blacking and rust - don't know if this is standard practice but it seems sensible to me. The price for blasting the entire boat would have been astronomical - something like 60 pounds a foot if I remember correctly.

It seems to me from this and other threads that a lot of yards don't like gritblasting because of the mess. There is another alternative that we used on our boat called Ultra High Pressure Water blasting using nothing but fresh water. The only mess is what comes off. Work rates are similar to grit and we paid in the order of £1800 plus the water. The only drawback, if it is a drawback, is that the surface must be coated with a 2 pack epoxy. Having said that as you are overplating then that won't matter!!!!

H50